Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flylady/Decluttering Anyone? >

Flylady/Decluttering Anyone?

Flylady/Decluttering Anyone?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 AM

Default Flylady/Decluttering Anyone?

Do you follow Flylady? This summer I have been pretty good about the 15 mins of decluttering every day. It's amazing how much you can actually get done in that short amount of time. She's right, you really can't organize clutter, you need to make tough choices about what to keep. At least I do. I have a limited amount of space and I'm so tired of having too much stuff in a small amount of space. This includes my quilting. Hard to get rid of some of it, but I have to be realistic about what I'll actually be able to work on. And let's be real, by the time I get around to some of my projects I'm just not always enthused about it. My tastes change and there's always new and great fabrics/patterns out there.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 AM

I don't follow flylady but have done the 15 min/day thing in the past. You're absolutely correct that it does work. I too, have a very small space in which to work and know myself well enough to know that my tastes are going to change over time. This is why only buy for projects when I'm ready to do them. The only stash I have is what is left over from any given project. Gives me the ability (sometimes) to do block swaps or the like. I'm also not much for 'scrappy'. It works for me. But I think I really need to get back to the 15 min/day thing. Stuff is starting to grow again.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I have read her website and "informally" try to keep up. I keep a donation bag going and so far haven't missed anything I've donated. It's so much easier to keep a decluttered place clean. I'm one of those rare birds with a very small stash. But I do have 8 sewing machines and a serger!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I followed Fly Lady system when I was working and had school age kids. I wasn't about to come home and do housework and cooking everyday or lose a day of my off days cleaning up a messy house. I can honestly say if you implement her system your house is never in a mess. Not even the kids rooms. I get up at 6 a.m. and by 7 a.m. my housework is done for the day. I keep my 1 year old grandson during the day so I have to have everything baby proof too. Once something is clean, like the fridge, then why wait for it to get dirty to have to clean again. The rule of clean it while it is clean really works and takes much less time and effort. Shoes, papers, toys, clothes, and stuff spread all over is ridiculous and stressful. Put items in their place. If you don't have a place for it then it is clutter. I will admit my sewing room is immune to not being kept as neat as the other rooms. I can't make a quilt and not have it messy most of the time.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-01-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

With just two of us. Housework would be very easy. Three cats, a bird and messy eating dog. Makes for more work. Kind of hard to keep loose hair and litter swept up. Kitchen floor is swept a couple times a day. I don't like dirty, nasty places. I even keep my sewing room neat. My rule is if it doesn't fit into closets or cabinets, out it goes.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:05 AM
Swap Hosts

I do from time to time. Her techniques really help. I also follow Ramit Sethi and Marie Forleo to keep my business on track.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 AM

I followed FlyLady for a while, but I go in phases. I find it easier when we're on a regular schedule, but it all seems to go out the window in the summer when we're out of town a lot, and the kids are here all day, messes seem to follow them. I've also enjoyed Francine Jay's book The Joy of Less : A Minimalist Living Guide. While I have no intention of becoming a minimalist, it has great hands on tips for reducing your clutter, and streamlining every room in your house.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 AM

I'm very curious about Flylady's system/techniques, but I've searched and can't find anything about her.
Are there message posts or a link that explains?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TinkerQuilts View Post
I'm very curious about Flylady's system/techniques, but I've searched and can't find anything about her.
Are there message posts or a link that explains?
I just googled Flylady and her website came up.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:17 AM

I used to follow Flylady every day without fail. This was years ago and though I no longer do so, I still shine up the sink every morning and night. I think I need to look up her blog again. Maybe that would help with my sewing room. Or maybe that is just a lost cause.
Thanks for posting on this subject.