Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Foods that are toxic to your pets >

Foods that are toxic to your pets

Foods that are toxic to your pets

Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 AM

Default Foods that are toxic to your pets

There was a recent PIF post where you had to guess what the OP's dogs favorite treat was and it wasn't a dog treat. There were a couple of guesses of human foods that are toxic to dogs and cats. It got me thinking (the registered vet tech that I am!) that maybe a little refresher of "No No" snacks would be helpful. So, I searched the web and found RELIABLE websites that offered this information. We just had a dog in the clinic this week that had only eaten 3 grapes and suffered from Acute Kidney Failure. Fortunately, the owners had witnessed the transgression and were able to get the dog to the Emergency Clinic for rapid treatment. We saw the dog later in the week in our clinic for follow up and the dog is recovering but the extent of the damage to his kidneys and other organs is not known yet.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...ple-foods.aspx
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/poisonous_foods.html
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...s_to_pets.html
http://www.entirelypets.com/toxicfoods.html
http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slides...ould-never-eat
Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

thank you for providing this valuable information
Old 10-16-2012, 03:03 AM

We never knew about grapes. Bridget ate grapes like crazy, was nuts about raisins (same thing) (tannin). She lived to be 14 years,9 months and 8 days. Our neighbor had a Newfie and she ate the skin of a sweet potato and died! Go figure. Bess does not eat grapes or raisins and she is going to be ten on January 3, but she does like a little lap of the fruit of the vine! That hasn't killed her. I caught her once eating rabbit droppings, and with adrenalin pumping like crazy, I opened her mouth and pulled the little pellets out! Darned dog. I have really come to the conclusion that if dogs are going to eat their own poop or rabbit crap, a grape is not going to kill them, even though I won't knowingly give Bess a grape anymore than I would put her in front of dog poop (which, thank Heaven repulses her)!!!!! She also eats Andes Mints - still in the wrapper - I didn't catch that one, however, 1/2 hour later, she barfed it up, STILL IN THE WRAPPER! Good girl, Bess. Edie

PS - We do the best we can for our pets and hope for the best. I think if we knew what they really ate, we'd probably die!!!!! Dead birds, bugs, mice, moles, voles, you name it. At least, food that has been washed and cleaned in our home is sanitary!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 AM

This is great info. I think sometimes we tend to forget that even though they are our best friend (and not to just man, ha) that they need to be treated differently. Its even harder for those like me who grew up in the country and I can't ever remember "store" dog food being brought into the house they ate what you ate. I didn't know about the grapes but never would have thought to give mine them but I have a little one who loves veggies and I could see that if she got her chance she would eat grapes too. Knowing this I'll make sure when my grandkids come over and are eating snacks that I keep the grapes up. My DGD loves to feed my little dog because first she loves animals and they are both the same size. It's funny, she doesn't try to feed the big dog unless its giving him bones. We have to watch the big one because he got bloat last yr and the vet said that most dogs don't survive because they don't get taken it soon enough. I wouldn't play with his health, it was touchy because he's an older dog but he did really great with the surgery and has done well since. When I went to get him fixed I had an elder care package done on him to make sure his complete health was good before putting him under again. I was so happy to find out he's a very healthy dog. It's my sons dog and he was away during this time so he was happy that I spent the extra money to get him checked as well. It was worth the 600 to run all the test and xrays. Piece of mind has no price tag as far as I'm concerned, that and knowledge if something is wrong.

Since you are registered maybe you can help me with another problem. Ever since my little one got spayed she is always itching down there, so she's always rubbing her self on the carpet. At first I thought it was fleas but she has none. My daughter is a dog groomer and took her in to bathe her and said she has a yeast infection. She said it shows really badly in the ears. She told me to give her yogurt every day; that didn't help and the pet store recommened pro-biotics and that doesn't seem to help. Is this something only treatable at the vets or is there something else I can try. Thanks. I'm not trying to get free vet service. You can tell by what I did with my Akita above that I totally believe in taking them when they need to go. I live by myself and I love them but so does my grandkids; if anything happened to them it would break their hearts. They aren't allowed to have pets at their apartment.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 AM

Thank you so much for that info, I knew a lot of it but not all so it was reassuring to me. Now another favour please, have you any links for what is safe to give to your dogs and what makes a good home make meal for them. I have a Yorkshire Terrier X, 12 years old and have started making her my own slow cooker meals which she is enjoying but I would love to have some tips on what I should, and should not include, pretty please.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 AM

So kind of you to post links to places that will educate us about what to or not to feed our fur-babies. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:54 AM

My Yorkie-Poo's favorite food is spaghetti. All I have to do is say that spaghetti is for dinner and she gets all excited. She stays under my feet the whole time I'm making it. When I start chopping her's up, she gets so excited that her whole body trembles. My husband said it's because of the meat, but she loves it with just plain spaghetti sauce with no meat. What can I say it is her Mommy's (me) favorite food. Always has been.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 AM

I was flabbergasted that no one had told me about grapes until my dog was probably 7 or 8 years old. All those vet visits, and no one said a word. Zeus LOVED grapes and I fed them to him liberally until I read somewhere not to. Now that he's gone, I wonder how much those grapes contributed to his death. It's one of my life's biggest regrets.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM

It is wonderful of you to post this. So many times we think "if we can eat it .. so can my pet". I did check prior to make sure watermelon is OK for my Saint. So its one cube for me one for him.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
It is wonderful of you to post this. So many times we think "if we can eat it .. so can my pet".
Couldn't agree with you more, I have been lucky with my Muffin as she seems to instinctively know what she shouldn't eat, I never have given any of my dogs chocolate, not even doggy treat ones, and Muffin just won't accept them if anyone offers her one. if she has spaghetti which she loves, just like someone else's fur-baby on this forum she will patiently lick all the sauce of any mushrooms and then leave them on the side of her plate, such a clever doggie, but don't tell her she's a bit of a Diva already!