Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Forget how to spell words

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Forget how to spell words

I'm 58 and have been having a hard time remembering how to spell words that I use to have no trouble spelling. Well, I figured out a little trick. Maybe everyone already know this, but someone might not and this might help. When I'm here on the board typing and it shows that I'm spelling a word incorrectly, I open a new page and go to "Google" and type the word in "Google" the way I am spelling it and it pops up correctly. I copy it and then come back to the Board and paste it in my post and finish my sentence. It's so nice and easy and I don't feel quite so ignorant. Hope this helps someone.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have a setting checked somewhere that puts a red line under a misspelled word. Then I right click the word and several options of the word show up. The one I am usually trying to spell is first on the list.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    I use spell check program too, if the word is misspelled it's underlined, click on it and the right spelling is shown. There are many free ones online to choose from.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I have a setting checked somewhere that puts a red line under a misspelled word. Then I right click the word and several options of the word show up. The one I am usually trying to spell is first on the list.
    Ditto.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    same for me!
    Nancy in western NY

Banned
    I use Google all the time for spell checks!

Oh my gosh!, Google is my dearest friend. LoL! I always have a Google tab open, anytime my browser is open. I would be so lost without it for sure.

I'm 67 and have the same problem sometimes. Other times isn't so bad. Spelling use to be my strong point but, not so much anymore.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My Google task bar has a spell check on it. I really appreciate that so many try to communicate clearly. I find misspelling distracting and I loose the sense of a message. I guess I am lucky that my nieces and nephews are tolerant of their old fashioned aunt. The generations have always had a gap in communicating but I am afraid with these new devices that gap is going to be a chasm. I do not know how much the shortcuts taken in writing is spilling over into speech, but eventually it will. To me even the simplest are ambiguous: LOL (used here frequently): does that mean Laugh Out Loud or Lots of Luck?
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I am in the same boat - I am 47 and spelling was never a problem - I was a spelling bee champ in my school - but I have the same problem - I think those new brain games they have for us - really help clear the cobwebs out of our brains - if we don't use it we lose it. I still like me good old fashioned dictionary - my kids wonder why I use that book - to me its an old friend - I can find anything I need to know in my dictionary- and I use google too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast