found this quote

Old 09-02-2011, 07:20 AM

in another daily email I get:

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly.
- St. Francis de Sales

I think that is a great thing to remember. We all have things we're good at, even those of us who think we can do nothing right (maybe especially those who think they can't do anything should know they can do something - )

I used to think, growing up, I wasn't good enough to do anything; didn't even get a drivers license until I was 40! Now, I look back - I am happy w/ myself now - but the only thing I regret is not trying. I was always good enough to at least try things - everyone is. If you don't try you will never know where life can take you, you will never know the feeling of doing / going/ seeing something you never imagined you would/could. If you don't try, you may never find out "what you are", and when you find that, no one or no thing can shake you. You've centered and grounded your self.

when you re centered you can see the world around you and those people - any age - still having issues. Sort point them, tell them trying is a good thing, not to be worried for it. It's like paying it forward to give people a helpful word. sharet
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM

I was always a chicken too! If I hadn't married a sailor who went into Submarines I still would be! I can't do everything perfectly but I can drive across country by myself and not be scared and boy can I pack boxes! I still can't ride bikes, but I really want to go up in a hot air balloon sometime soon! We are what we want to be! My two sisters are as different from me as night and day!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM

I found this quote last night..

Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree ~ it will live its whole life believing that its stupid. ~Albert Einstein.

This hit me pretty hard. I have a hard time sometimes being impatient with things...I have to take time to slow down and give myself the ability to learn and grow. I was amazed when I really started "studying" quilting how much information I was actually absorbing by all my reading. My seams were better I wasn't afraid to try new thing..triangles etc...I actually allow myself the right to make a mistake...or two. None of my quilts are show quality. I want them to be used and loved and washed a thousand times. So I don't worry about the quilt police. It has freed me to be a better quilter and a better MoM and a better Wife Daughter ~etc. Its also allowed me to stand up for things that I never would have before..I attribute it to confidence..sometimes a secret confidence..but its there. They say that quilting is healthy. I say YES! Mentally and otherwise. I am empowered by my ability to create something special for someone I love. I am thrilled when I pull a freshly made quilt from the dryer and see no popped seams and lots of quilty crinkles. I feel like an artist sometimes. I get just as many warm fuzzies as the people that wrap up in my quilts just knowing that I did something to help keep them warm and make them feel loved. Quilting is such an emotional craft...and I am an Emotional Girl. I feel very fortunate to have Quilting help me express that side of me..Sometimes the people around me just don't get it. =) I may never join a guild or share my quilts with people that will study every seam...thats not really why I do this but I am good enough for those around me..And thats good enough for me. =) Good for you Sharet for your attitude! I wish we could bottle it up and sell it! =) can you imagine?? =)
Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 AM

[quote=Normacharlie]I was always a chicken too! If I hadn't married a sailor who went into Submarines I still would be! I can't do everything perfectly but I can drive across country by myself and not be scared and boy can I pack boxes!

I don't know why I was like that - just scared of everything up until my husband died - then, it was like nothing scared me any more. I quit work and started a business w/ 2 other girls from work - it was like a piece of cake! Never in my dreams would I ever have thought I could do that let alone pay my bills by working for myself!
Now, if I see something I think I'd like to do I try it (well, if I can afford it, but I'll save up for things). I want to try making soap - not afraid, but have to gather up stuff and hubs says he will help w/ the lye part.
I also don't care what strangers think when they see me, either. Used to take hrs to get ready to go out - trying on clothes etc. Now, I look like a bag lady sometimes running to the grocery - but am in the middle of things and cant stop to dress up - lol sharet
Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 AM

om gosh,
Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree ~ it will live its whole life believing that its stupid. ~Albert Einstein
RkayD, I love your quote!
and, when the people around you don't understand about how quilting is freeing - I think it's because they haven't found their true selevs yet.
You know, I am really getting into trying to do art type quilts, useable ones, but stuff thats colors and 3Dish and freeform. I saw this quilt hanging in a NC welcome center! The lady working there said a group of ladies come in and sew on stuff and change out their quilt periodically - they just do what they feel like!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250394.jpe