Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Four days without touching my sewing machine!!!!! >

Four days without touching my sewing machine!!!!!

Four days without touching my sewing machine!!!!!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Four days without touching my sewing machine!!!!!

I headed over to the best farmers' market within 50 miles yesterday. And I got a little carried away. Bought half bushels of cucumbers, beets and tomatoes. Also picked up a couple of baskets of peaches. Sooooo at this point I have made 12 quarts of dills, 16 pints of sliced dills (like stackem's), 14 pints of beet pickles (another 10 or so to do tomorrow) and 4 3/4 quarts of peach pie filling. Still to do are the rest of the beets, 4 batches of tomato salsa--two with jalapino and 2 with chipotle, plus sauce from whatever tomatoes are left, and more peach something from the basket that wasn't quite ripe. Hope I can finish it all tomorrow but will probably have to do a bit on Sunday.

Oh my poor sewing machine! I am sure she thinks I don't love her anymore!!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:01 PM

Makes me tired just reading about it! But you'll be set for some good eating this winter.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Wow!! You've been busy! If you're looking for ideas for the peaches, I make this several times a week: take whatever combo of "stone fruits" you have on hand and coarsely slice/chop. Add cinnamon and Stevia/Splenda and bake. I just put the pan in with whatever meat or fish we're having that night for dinner. Easy, healthy delish and lo-cal. Line the pan with foil or parchment paper for an easy clean up.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:56 AM

Oh, that sounds good.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:20 AM

Happy homemaking! Your winter table will be yummy! I just made some refrigerator bread/butter pickles from our little garden. Today zucchini fritters and zuke bread, and when the beets are ready...beet soup. My drug of choice this time of year is corn.........cannot get enough! Grateful to the farmers here who grow/sell
Old 08-15-2015, 07:35 AM

I hear you. My garden is doing quite well this year in the tomatoes, zucchini and green beans. Once a week I spend the entire day doing the tomatoes into either sauce or salsa. Have enough to take care of me for 2 years at this writing. Green beans I just soak in vinegar, rinse, blanch, drain and then throw into the freezer. Zucchini I don't even want to talk about as its coming out of my ears at this point. A new couple that just moved down from MI is coming over today to pick my garden clean.............I hope. Can't get much sewing done if I'm out working in the gardens. But I was able to finish 2 quilt tops and quilt one quilt this week so it wasn't a total loss in the sewing end.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:13 AM

I am selling my home, and buying a property in Oklahoma and I cannot wait to be that busy putting up fruit and veggies from my very own garden. You sure have been busy with it. Wouldn't it be fun to get together and can for days with someone to giggle and chat with?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

You certainly are going to be very busy in the kitchen.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:46 AM

At least you have been productive in other ways! I had surgery on my right foot on July 6, because of an infection I got when a tack/nail went through my shoe into my foot. I didn't feel it because I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet, but, long story short, after I got out of the hospital, I was told I couldn't walk on it for 6-8 weeks! I can pivot on the heel somewhat, but I have been unable to get into my sewing room in over a month! I can't wait till the 26th when hopefully I get the stitches out and can resume regular activities. (Can't say "normal" activities, because we all know that "normal" is just a setting on the dryer!)
Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM

Sounds like fun! I wish I had the desire to try that, but our kitchen is not my favorite room.