Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Framing Needlework!!  I need help!! >

Framing Needlework!! I need help!!

Framing Needlework!! I need help!!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:59 PM

Default Framing Needlework!! I need help!!

I just completed four designs on 14 ct aida cloth. Plan to give one to each of my children as a gift. Each design is to be framed in a round frame approx. 8" across. Frames were actually designed to hold plates and have a depth for the insert of close to 3/4". I would like to frame the designs so that they protrude from the frame in concave fashion. How can I best accomplish this? I thought of buying a piece of sponge approx. 3/4" thick and cutting it to fit the frame. Would then drape the design over the sponge and insert in the frame. Hopefully when I added a solid backing the sponge would protrude from the frame in a rounding fashion like I want. I inserted the back of a corelle luncheon plate into the frame and it gives me the effect I want. What do you think of this idea? Would it work or is there something better that I can do? Any help would be appreciated. Am attaching a picture to help explain what I am attempting to do.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0060-800x600-.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM

It is very pretty. If it was mine and I had the funds, I would take it to a framer and let him stretch it to fit a round frame. Shouldn't they be stretched?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:08 PM

I would cut two pieces of acid free foam board the size of the inner ring and use a piece of batting between the stitchery and the foam core.This would bring your stitchery out from the ring but the batting would make it look smooth. I dont think you could get the sponge to look right.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by hybearn8er View Post
I would cut two pieces of acid free foam board the size of the inner ring and use a piece of batting between the stitchery and the foam core.This would bring your stitchery out from the ring but the batting would make it look smooth. I dont think you could get the sponge to look right.
I do plan to stretch the cloth and anchor it to the foam core but not just sure how to layer it to get the look I want. I agree with your idea of using batting to give it a smooth padded look. I did this on another picture and liked the effect. I will play with your idea and see what I come up with. Thanks for your ideas. I want them to look professional when I am done. If not I will take them to a framer.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I'd use thick batting, the kind that's 2" or so, give it a whirl and see how it goes. good luck
Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM

If you like the look with the plate, why not go to a thrift store and buy 4 plates to use. Cover with batting and they would be padded. You could put something solid and flat over the back to cover the plate.
I've never done this, but just a thought.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:13 PM

kathyd had the same thought I did.

Anita
Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Your best bet is to get some acid free foam core cut into circles. Don't use the sticky board, that's only good for catching critters and bugs. I would try thinner batting and layer it, using a few dress pins in the sides of the foamcore to test the poofiness to see how you like it. Once you get the right thickness, lace the xstitch around the foam/batting package with a cotton crochet thread to pull the art tight. Even though it's a circle, you want to treat it like a square while stretching (like there is a horizonal and a verticle). Once it's laced (don't sew it to the foamcore, just to itself) then you can adjust it until it is centered to your liking.

(I am a picture framer, been doing this for 20 years, this is my mom's account )
Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
Your best bet is to get some acid free foam core cut into circles. Don't use the sticky board, that's only good for catching critters and bugs. I would try thinner batting and layer it, using a few dress pins in the sides of the foamcore to test the poofiness to see how you like it. Once you get the right thickness, lace the xstitch around the foam/batting package with a cotton crochet thread to pull the art tight. Even though it's a circle, you want to treat it like a square while stretching (like there is a horizonal and a verticle). Once it's laced (don't sew it to the foamcore, just to itself) then you can adjust it until it is centered to your liking.

(I am a picture framer, been doing this for 20 years, this is my mom's account )
When I pull the cross stitch tight do I use crisscross stitches like a square or should I try to anchor in a circular motion? I think you want it done crisscross but just want to check for sure. So glad for the help of someone who has some experience. I have my foam core and will make my circle and proceed from there. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Normally I use a box stitch, but with an oval or circle it's best just to go one stitch at the "top" down to one stitch at the "bottom". Don't tie it off. Go all the way "acrosss", then do the other two sides. Anchor one point and tighten that side. Then do the other set of sides. Only tie off the final sides when you are happy with the front.

You're quite welcome. This method is a lot easier than you'd think, and isn't damaging to the art.