Free! Bread Machine

Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 AM

I responded to a give-away for a Sunbeam bread machine. It's a beauty, but there were no instructions. I did a Google search to find out the capacity of this bad-boy. My main question was as to it's capacity. I know that a touch-pad will lead you to "what next". Finally, I found a guideline that told me how much water to put in the pan to determine the size loaf it would yield. WooHoo! The baking pan only held 8 cups of water, therefore I can only bake recipes that produce 1 loaf. That is fine. It's just me and the cat.

I found a recipe for basic bread machine bread, but it was designed for a machine that would yield 1 1/2 loaves. Hmm. I hope and pray that my calculations to give me l loaf were right. (Took full recipe and divided by 3, then multiplied by 2 should be right.) I will let you know.

If I failed miserably, then it is a lesson learned (like quilting). If it turns out great, then I will have a pleasant surprise. Stay tuned for updates. :wink:
Old 04-30-2011, 10:16 AM

Did you go the the Sunbeam site to see if you can download one of it's recipe/owners manual?

I don't remember the brand of bread machine I have...mine is about 10 years old....bought it for my husband when he was out of work 10-11 years ago. It was a refurbished model. Makes a really good sourdough bread.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

It helps a lot to have the manufacturer's recipes when you get started with a machine. Did you check the Sunbeam website? Also try Googling your model; might find some recipes that way.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM

According to a bread machine recipe book I have, if the capacity of your pan is 6-9 cups you can make a 1.5 pound loaf. There are many recipes online you can try. Making bread in a machine requires a little experimentation so don't give up too quickly. Here's some links to get you started, and check your local library for some bread machine cookbooks.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/bread...e/ViewAll.aspx

http://www.erikthered.com/breads.html
Old 04-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone. First thing I did was go to Sunbeam.com, then Googled. I think twistedstitcher has it right on the capacity from another link I found.

For some reason, known only to God, my electricity went out briefly in the kitchen and bathroom. After waiting for 2 hours and 20 minutes, the touch-pad is now blinking 00:00 and waiting for a command. The dough feels right, but I can't figure out how to get it to start over and force my way through the process to bake.

I'm just stubborn enough to make this work. Oh, oh, something is going on in there. It is now on it's spin cycle. I think this might be for a second rise (?). The timer now says 1 hour, 40 minutes. (am I now realizing why this beast was offered as "free"?)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 PM

This is the best bread machine recipe! It make just one loaf so I think it will work in your machine. If you try it let me know how it turns out!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Craisin Bread

Recipe By : 366 Low-Fat Brand-Name Recipes
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread Machine Breads
Low Fat Favorites

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/8 Cups Water
2 3/4 Cups Bread Flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons Nonfat Dry Milk
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 Teaspoons Dry Yeast
1 Tablespoon Margarine
3/4 Cup dried cranberries

Add first 8 ingredients to pan in order listed. Program for mix bread and push start. Add craisins when the machine "beeps".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Good luck with it. I think if I had a bread machine I would never leave the house baking and eating and then one day someone would have to take the wall out of my house to get me out!!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Good luck with it. I think if I had a bread machine I would never leave the house baking and eating and then one day someone would have to take the wall out of my house to get me out!!!!
:P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: I have one it packed away so I don't pack it on.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Thanks everyone. First thing I did was go to Sunbeam.com, then Googled. I think twistedstitcher has it right on the capacity from another link I found.

For some reason, known only to God, my electricity went out briefly in the kitchen and bathroom. After waiting for 2 hours and 20 minutes, the touch-pad is now blinking 00:00 and waiting for a command. The dough feels right, but I can't figure out how to get it to start over and force my way through the process to bake.

I'm just stubborn enough to make this work. Oh, oh, something is going on in there. It is now on it's spin cycle. I think this might be for a second rise (?). The timer now says 1 hour, 40 minutes. (am I now realizing why this beast was offered as "free"?)
I use mine to "cheat". I mix the bread dough(dough only setting) in the machine then shape and bake it in regular pans. i can set it and walk away. great way to make your own pizza dough, too. My family objects to the hole left from the little mixer thingy in the bottom. I keep telling them it doesn't affect the taste, but....
Old 04-30-2011, 02:41 PM

They do stop in a cycle and then go on to the next step. If the dough feels right and has risen...put it in a bread pan and bake it in the oven...make that a greased bread pan.