Friday's the big day

Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Friday is the day that my husband has surgery for a right shoulder replacement. I think we will be eating alot of easy to eat food since he won't be able to use his right hand for at least two weeks or more. He went out today and bought a couple pairs of sweats to wear, but I have to hem them up, one pair was about 6 inches or more to long and the other one wasn't quite that bad only about 4 inches. So I have to get busy and get them hemed!! I don't know how much sewing I'm going to get done in the next few weeks, as I'm sure he is going to take alot of my time. He's already talking about how bored he will be with nothing to do.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by decky
Friday is the day that my husband has surgery for a right shoulder replacement. I think we will be eating alot of easy to eat food since he won't be able to use his right hand for at least two weeks or more. He went out today and bought a couple pairs of sweats to wear, but I have to hem them up, one pair was about 6 inches or more to long and the other one wasn't quite that bad only about 4 inches. So I have to get busy and get them hemed!! I don't know how much sewing I'm going to get done in the next few weeks, as I'm sure he is going to take alot of my time. He's already talking about how bored he will be with nothing to do.
You might want to wash them first - some of them shrink quite a bit.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by decky
When my husband had hernia (three in a row) we made him a bed in the living room for the few weeks so he could be in there when people came in and he could be in with the family. He enjoyed it so much more than having to stay in the bedroom so much.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Good luck with the surgery!

Wash the sweats first and remember when you cut them off to allow room to turn up a seam allowance. :)
Old 11-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

DH will catch on to using his left hand to eat :wink: I had shoulder surgery, and found that a "bib" was not a bad thing :D
I found a recliner to be very comfortable, one with low arm rests. He won't be moving his arm at all much for the first 3 weeks.
Over sized shirts are another thing... you can't move your elbow away from your body for the first few weeks, so button down or oversized tshirts were much easier to get in/out of. Short sleeves are easier than long sleeves too :D:D:D
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Oh that poor guy! I would hate to be holed up away from everyone too. Well, most days lol
Wishing him the best!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM

I found the hardest thing to do was to brush my teeth!!!
Well, wiping was tough too.....

I spent a lot of my time in my Lazy Boy recliner and watched videos and read books and learned how to mouse left handed to play some games on my lap top computer. I had one of those bed trays that you can sit over your lap and put the laptop on it. I had a Polar Care running most of the time keeping my shoulder iced.