Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it >

Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

Old 01-15-2015, 06:28 AM

I would not buy another front loader either. I leave my door open (always) & leave the drawer open(detergent, fabric softener, bleach drawer) & having it now for about 5 years, it too, has started to smell a bit. Not terrible, but a bit. I do not think that front loaders clean as well as the older style top loading machines either. I bought the brand recommended by a service man that repairs machines so I did my diligence. IMHO.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:28 AM

Don't forget to give the rubber seal a wipe out occasionally...could be why some of you have a stinky odor, lint collects in there and will get stinky if not occasionally wiped out.

I LOVE my front loader...less detergent and water dumping into my septic, sweaters and knits do not pill up and my king comforters stuffing does not get mangled. I never had clothes come out of my front loader dirty and its really no bigger a deal to wipe off the inside of the lid and rim of the tub of a regular washer than it is the seal of a front loader (imho). No matter what washer...we have to wipe them lol.

I see the newer "large tub" top loaders have smaller agitation wings now and look like they can hold a king comforter...I wonder how they are on sweaters and knits?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:28 AM

and with a front load washer- if it begins to take a LONG period to wash, check the manual and see if you have a COIN catch underneath that things strain into! Seriously, I had to call a repairman for an issue with my washer and he showed me that the catch was also FULL of coins.......when it was emptied the water drained much faster. I will not have another front loading machine when this one bites the bullet- don't like it. I live in the country with a septic and and I have a well, no issues there, I wash farm clothes so it does get a workout
Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM

I am another huge fan of front loaders, at least the Samsung I have now. Sparkling clothes, quiet, energy and water efficient. My previous front loaders weren't nearly as good. There is a huge variation between models and brands.

Pam
Old 01-15-2015, 12:27 PM

I have had two different brands of front loaders. Hated the LONG wash cycles, hated the SMELL. NEVER again. I now have a cheap old-fashioned top loader that is much faster and does not smell--in fact the clothes smell clean and the towels are a joy to use. Water is the big difference I would guess.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I am another huge fan of front loaders, at least the Samsung I have now. Sparkling clothes, quiet, energy and water efficient. My previous front loaders weren't nearly as good. There is a huge variation between models and brands.

Pam
Pam, I love my front load machine, also. It did have a major problem a while ago, but the repair was covered by warranty, so I'm ok with that. The interesting part is that the repairman told my husband that Samsung is the best brand to buy from what he sees. So when we need a new one we will go for that one, too.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:02 AM

Cant you use Affresh?

sandy
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 AM

Funny, having to wash a washing machine.......
Old 01-16-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I have had a front load washer for several years and have never had to clean it. Perhaps one of the reasons is, I never shut the door unless I am washing clothes, therefore the gasket dries out each time. Also, my husband has a sensitivity to soap left in clothes. The rashes aren't comfortable, so I rinse every load twice. I will say that you cannot soak clothes in a front load. Mine is very bad with bleach. You will get spots when the bleach is added to clothes. I gave up even buying bleach. Even the powdered bleach makes a mess.
I love my front loader stacked set.

Barb has the answer again. Never close the door. That is: don't latch it. You can't tell by looking that my door is not latched. (I leave the dryer door unlatched, also.) I've had mine for 4 years, never cleaned it, but this winter it started to smell like old laundry. I put chlorine bleach in my next load of whites on the "whitest whites" setting. That helped a lot. I really should get some A-Fresh and use that once.

Mine is a Whirlpool, and has a "Soak" cycle and a special place to put bleach; liquid or powdered. My soap bottle says to use 1/2 fl. oz. That's one Tablespoon. Too much soap causes a lot of problems.

My tenant uses it, too, so it gets a workout. I have my own well and septic system.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I hardly ever use bleach. I think it is very hard on fabfic and a lot of people are sensitive t it - even after two rinses.