Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it >

Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

Old 01-14-2015, 07:18 AM

Default Front Loading Washing Machines...how to clean it

Maybe you already know this, but I didn't. To clean your front loading machine, keep the tub empty, put 1 cup of bleach into the space where you normally put your detergent. Turn the water temperature to hot, turn the machine on, and let it do the magic! We had to do this 4 times...the amount of soap was amazing during each cycle. We use bleach weekly on undies and sometimes I use vinegar if something is smelly, but this was amazing! Never thought about a residue building! And if I had to buy another washer...it wouldn't be a front loader, but that's been discussed here quite a few times. This is just about maintenance.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Thanks. hope I never need to know this. I may move this year and do not want a front loader!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I'm short but doing the bends is a way of getting a little exercise and stretching also. I know many people like to cram their laundry as much as possible for a full load. When I have a really small load that's one thing. Sometimes I will put it on medium depending on what I'm laundering. when I do sheets (one set at a time), I put on an extra large load. I want my sheets rinsed well. SAme goes for my fabric, especially those from estate sales and bleeding batiks or jeans for that matter.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 AM

I live in the country and have a septic tank....I never use chlorine bleach because it kills the necessary bacteria in the refuse.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 AM

Thanks for sharing - I will be trying this today!!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I live in the country and have a septic tank....I never use chlorine bleach because it kills the necessary bacteria in the refuse.

Same here, living on a septic system things are a little different than city sewer lines.

My new machine will notify me when it needs cleaning..lol I leave the door ajar to let it dry out after doing laundry.
I also use vinegar in each wash load, so I am hoping that cuts down on the build up a little.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 PM

I have had a front load washer for several years and have never had to clean it. Perhaps one of the reasons is, I never shut the door unless I am washing clothes, therefore the gasket dries out each time. Also, my husband has a sensitivity to soap left in clothes. The rashes aren't comfortable, so I rinse every load twiced.

I will say that you cannot soak clothes in a front load. Mine is very bad with bleach. You will get spots when the bleach is added to clothes. I gave up even buying bleach. Even the powdered bleach makes a mess. My next washer will be a top load, even though it will be hard for me to get everything out of the bottom of the tubs. Guess that's where hubby comes in and does his part.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 PM

Just so you know...there wasn't any smell in my machine or any indication that it needed cleaning. I just read about cleaning it this way, and thought I'd see what would happen. It amazed me because we keep soap to the very minimum, always use the extra rinse at the end, and do all we can to get the clothes clean. We live in the country, too, use a bit of bleach in our whites and haven't had any problem with the septic tank. We have tons of lime from limerock and it tends to turn everything grey, even with the bleach. So we do use bleach. Anyway, never a front loader again.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 AM

This is also good to do with your top load machine as well. If you notice your whites are starting to look not so white or all of a sudden you notice linty stuff on the rest of your laundry. I can't be around bleach any more so I do it with 2 cups of vinegar and I think it cleans better
Old 01-15-2015, 04:35 AM

It would seem to me that if your washer needs cleaning, it isn't doing a very good job on your clothes. These new "energy efficient" appliances are not all they are cracked up to be. It takes water to clean efficiently. Rant over!