frugalness!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 AM

ladies you got some great ideas there! I will put them into practice. also will check some frugal links too. the borrowing books sounds great instead of going to the library.
I have checked the indeed list, monster.com, career.com retirement jobs.com and so on.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Make meals most of the time; I keep an eye out for grocery sales & buy if it's something I will use. I do buy certain things in bulk; I will buy out of the meat reduced bin if it's something I will eat.

I have cable but that's my primary form of entertainment. I have a wii for exercise/fun.

I take public transportation 5 days a week. I start shopping for clothes at thrift shops. Keep coupons for clothes at name stores.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Do you have bread store near you? We go and get bread from there instead of the grocery store. You can get day old bread for .89 cents a loaf, compared to $2+++ at the grocery. We have a small freezer and put extra loaves in there and thaw it when we need more. We can't tell the difference.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM

I too clump my errands to a trip. And my sisters think this is really stupid, but I cut my dryer sheets in half. still do the trick. My husband likes the house cold so he comes home from work, it's cold. When he goes to work, the thermostat is back up to 79.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM

About your utilities. Don't know if your local utility company has a savings program like this but I was recently invited to participate in a utility savings program where I get lower rates when I use the most electricity, on the weekends and after 7:00 p.m. on weeknights. I work full-time so no one is home during the day Monday through Friday. I do my laundry, housework and work on the computer after 7:00 p.m. on weeknights and on the weekend.

I also try to make all my trips in the car count. I try to do all my weekend errands on Saturday and stay home on Sunday.

I keep my air conditioner on 80 degrees instead of 78.

I unplug my computer/printer/camera dock when I am not using it.

I don't have a dishwasher. I do have a High Efficiency front loading washing machine, and I only do full loads in it to get maximum efficiency.

I shop at Walmart for my health/beauty products, groceries and prescriptions.

I buy dollar greeting cards or make my own at home.

I pay 98% of my bills on line.

I have a free checking account at a locally owned bank.

I have a Sam's membership to take advantage of the low gas prices at their gas stations. I don't usually shop in the store because I only need enough of anything for one person.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I have saved all the early years and now I don't.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM

We love DVDs, but only buy them once they are around $10 to $15, & we can watch them as much as we want. We also stay home more, with hubby retired. He loves to eat out, but trying hard to get him to just be happy eating at home more. Eating out adds up fast, & it's not near as healthy either. We live out in the wooded countryside, not in a town, so this helps us save too. We think twice before driving to town...
Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 AM

I shop thrift stores for myself and kids, cook at home, keep trips to town etc. to as few as possible.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM

I would say cut the TV, eating out, including fast food, or mini markets for sodas, turn off lights when not in use, walk instead of drive if you're physically able to, shop at thrift stores, yard sales, auctions, etc. I don't know about cancelling the land line, that would depend on if you get a signal on a cell phone, we have a Trac Phone and no contract but buy minutes when we're getting low, but we don't get a cell phone signal where we are. I'm sure that you'll get lots of ideas on saving.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 PM

My favorite grocery store, SaveMart, puts its day old meats on deep discount the next day at about 9 or so in the AM. I like my meats so get them then. Once I won a $100.oo gift card from it and packed away a lot of cheapie meats in the freezer.