A Fun Activity

Old 08-09-2016, 10:40 AM

Default A Fun Activity

If you are looking for a fun and free activity to share with someone, consider staying awake during the wee hours of the morning for the Perseids meteor showers. This would be a great time to have a party, or invite the grandkids over to pull and all-nighter. The Perseids meteor showers can be seen between August 11 and August 13, but will peak on Thursday night. They are best viewed after the moon sets, when the sky is darkest. The moon phase is at 58% on Thursday night, and 67% on Friday. Between 1am and 5am is the best time to view them. They emanate from the constellation Perseus (from Greek mythology), in the northeast sky, and they are so named Perseids for this reason. The Perseids meteors are very fast and about 30 percent will have a lingering trail. After 12am, they will shoot sideways across the sky. Typically, there are about 80 an hour, but an outburst may occur, more than doubling the rate to 200 per hour. These will be the best meteor showers of the year. They are usually second to Geminids, which happen in December. This year there will be a full moon during the December Geminids showers, making the sky bright and the meteors more difficult to see.

If you are interested in watching meteor showers, be mindful of light pollution. Find a dark area with clear skies, and give your eyes about 20 minutes to adjust to the dark. Somewhere in the country is your best choice.

H. A. Rey wrote "Curious George" books. He also wrote, "The Stars: A New Way to See Them," and also, "Find the Constellations." I would recommend these to anyone who has a special child in their life. If you have an interest in learning constellations, I would recommend them for adults as well. They are written in an elementary way that is easy to learn and they are great books for Grandparents to share with their grandchildren.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Where are you located?? I know enough that is what is able to be seen in part of the US isn't as easy to see on the other side.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:13 AM

ManiacQuilter, They should be able to be viewed from anywhere on the Northern Hemisphere. I have a great location in New Hampshire. In Southern California, there is a lot of light pollution. I don't know what the weather is supposed to be like this week out there, but if you are near the wilderness under clear skies, you should be able to see them.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:28 PM

I was so looking forward to vexing it again, however Mr.Weatherman is predicting cloud cover.
We saw it for the first time about 40 years ago in the UP of Michigan. Being from Kansas we had not heard of it and we're sitting on the beach along Lake Superior. Those of you that have the chance ---- enjoy.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 AM

Aha! I get the feeling that you are a "quilting astronomer" or an "astronomer quilter"! So now there are at least TWO of us who spend clear dark nights at a telescope and cloudy nights doing applique, FMQ, or piecing. I'm in SoCal but am planning to watch the Perseids in the "wee hours" after moonset when Perseus is near zenith. The H.A. Rey book is truly a treasure and still one of my favorites to refer to at public outreach events.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM

we plan to be sky watching for the great event
Old 08-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Teri D, My husband actually got me interested in meteor showers. When we were dating many years ago, in the early morning hours, he climbed the weather tower in the town that I lived in so that he could get the best view. The cops called for backup when they discovered him. I thought you'd get a kick out of that story. He and I have watched a few more since those days.

I have a Meade ETX-90EC. Next on my shopping list is a light bucket. I also have Starry Night software, which I love. I'm a total amateur. I just play at it. It is one of my many hobbies. You're probably more in-the-know than me. With astronomy, no matter how much you know, there is always more to learn. Happy skies! Sharon
Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM

Thank you for this info. I know nothing about these things but I am up wee hours of the morning so it will be fun to watch & invite my GD down to watch with me.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Default metor showers

starting tonight for the next 5-6 nights, there will be great metor showers. The best viewing is Friday night. There won't be one like this for the next 120 years.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 PM

Sewingsew,
Thank you so much for your post. We are ever hopeful that we'll be able to see them here in rural Maine. All of our kids used to love to go out on the boat to star gaze when they were younger.
lots2do