Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band >

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 AM

I sent to see a Dr yesterday about one of these procedures I am thinking of having one done ( I know which one) but i want your feed back and if you had one done or know of anyone who had one done and how you/they are doing after.

So what you think let me know , Thank you
Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Are you sure you really want to know? Some of the things that can happen are pretty awful. I think it's all in your determination but they're both pretty drastic procedures. As long as you've made a commitment to really stick with the eating part of it you shouldn't have a problem. A friend of mine did it and she really lost weight. The biggest problem is that she still has enough skin for both of us and it's hanging on her little tiny body. She sags from the top of her head to her toes. As long as she wears long pants/dresses and long sleeves she doesn't look too bad but when summer hits and she drags out the shorts, shhheeewww. I'm not sure how long it takes for the skin to catch up with the weight loss or if it ever does.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:56 AM

I cannot imagine me having either. But if I really had to, I would go with the band. The by-pass is a very drastic procedure and will affect what you can eat, drink, and even what meds you will be able to take for the rest of your life. The band is more forgiving and can actually be removed if necessary down the road. I have an aunt who had the band and it was a good thing. She actually lost weight too fast and they had to relax it.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Are you sure you really want to know? Some of the things that can happen are pretty awful. I think it's all in your determination but they're both pretty drastic procedures. As long as you've made a commitment to really stick with the eating part of it you shouldn't have a problem. A friend of mine did it and she really lost weight. The biggest problem is that she still has enough skin for both of us and it's hanging on her little tiny body. She sags from the top of her head to her toes. As long as she wears long pants/dresses and long sleeves she doesn't look too bad but when summer hits and she drags out the shorts, shhheeewww. I'm not sure how long it takes for the skin to catch up with the weight loss or if it ever does.
Well yea you have to do some toning exercise that will help some and some people tone uo good and some want I thought about that also. i am going to try toning excercise preparing myself until i decide to have it and then i will finish after the procedure
Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 AM

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 AM

I have been thinking of the same thing. I have a friend who just had the gastric by-pass and he has lost 65lbs in two months.

Good luck with the procedure you have decided upon. I would love to hear more about it so that I can make my decision.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 AM

I have 2 friends that had the gastric bypass and did great. My mom (age 66) had it done March 22 of this year. She had a problem with striction and they had to balloon her intestine. They say it happens once in a while. Also there is a higher risk of having gallbladder problems. My mom already had hers removed before her bypass. I can say all 3 have lost weight, diabetes and high bloodpressure are GONE. My mom takes less meds now than she did before. She feels so much better and is active now. I have heard the risks and I believe you need to be very committed to following the diet plan to help prevent any adverse effects. The lose skin is an issue but for the three I know, they say its worth losing the joint pain and health problems. Good luck and get all the info you can before you make your decision.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 AM

I also know a friend that is going to have lap band surg.
BUT Are you going through the pre-course surg.??????
That is where you learn soooo much of what is instore for you after surg. There are some ins.co. that DON"T pay for this and it is really needed, so you know what to expect.
Best of luck
Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM

My niece had the lap band. As soon as she could she went into an exercise program and looks AWESOME! She has a fold at her stomach.....but in her (and my) opinion, it's better than the big folds she had before.

My friend had gastric bypass, he lost 200# and does have extra folds....but he feels better, too. In fact, he went from 6 insulin shots a day, 3 pills for diabetes, 2 pills for arthritis, BP meds, to NONE!!!! He doesn't take anything except the thyroid pill because his thyroid was removed years ago.

Both of them had to have something done....their health was in such bad shape that it was that or die.

Yes, both went thru what I consider hell because of having to change eating habits....but both, after a year, are the happiest I've ever seen.

The choice is up to you.....if you feel it's time, and your doctor think it's time....then go for it and best of luck!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 AM

Jerrie, I'm going to discourage either procedure. Both surgeries are only to FORCE you into dieting. The problem is, you only have surgery on your tummy and not your brain, which still wants to eat too much of the wrong things...and unless you convince your brain that it's wrong, then neither surgery will be long term successful. I have a brother in law and a niece that have both had the bypass surgery. The brother in law did really good with it for about a year, until he coaxed his "new" body to accept sugars, etc. He's now back over 300lbs. The niece did not have a good experience from the get-go and nearly died...could not eat solid foods for over a year, and while she now wears a size 14, instead of a size 30, she is constantly ill, because she eats the wrong things...

The lap band is less invasive, but it's still surgery, and some of the same problems exist. If you don't retrain your brain to eat the right foods, and the right amounts of them, then it won't be successful, long term.

Please, please, please try one more time to lose weight without surgery!! I know you can do it, I've seen your photo and can see a goodly amount of "stubborn" in your eyes!! That's all it takes is to be stubborn about eating right...decide that YOU rule food, and not the other way around! Use food as a tool for survival, and use it like you would any other tool...when you need to.

As for loose skin? At our age, we're stuck with it. I've lost 105 lbs, and the only way I'm going to lose the skin is to have surgery. Skin looses elasticity as we age....hence the wrinkles as we get older. If and when I get to have that surgery, they estimate that I will lose another 15 lbs! Some will shrink back, but most of it is just going to "hang around". ("Nude" is NOT a pretty picture at my house!! ;) )

All of that being said, however you choose to lose weight, it's going to be a good thing to get the excess weight gone! You're going to have more energy, be able to do more, and live longer! I had gotten to the point that I couldn't walk across a parking lot without chest pains...now I can run across the same parking lot and not be out of breath!

~hugs~