Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

There are common elements no matter what the subject of the forum... there's always those happily going about their business oblivious to any conflict... there are those trying to keep the peace... there are some who do what they want regardless of the impact on anyone else... some who see only positive everywhere and in everyone... and those who see only negative and like to think of themselves as victims.
That's a very good observation, and I know that it's not possible to keep everyone happy about everything.

In any case, thanks everyone for your input.

We'll ease up the guidelines for GCC and see how it goes.
I'll update the rules for that section in a few days.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Admin,
You're doing a great job. Thanks. :D :D :D

Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM

[amma]

I took offense when I read this:

when amma gave you that help on pp, i would like to have been there. is it posted on tutorials? if it is, i'll look for it.

when someone is learning a new skill, such as the ones that cutebuns teaches, they should be posted as cutebuns does, for everyone to learn from them and ask questions. this is what i mean by becoming too insular.

Maybe a PM to me asking me what, where when and why would have been more appropriate. I would gladly have answered just like I did above! But when remarks like this are made in an open comment or discussed in PM's, they can be misconstrued. The reason here was totally different from what was supposed.

Go directly to the person, ask why did you do or say this... You may find that the reason was honest, legitimate, and honorable. I was not hiding it in my PDA, I was just waiting for the right time to post it.

Would the same thing have been said if k3n was visiting at my house, I showed her how to make this block, and she went home and made hers. The next day posted it on my PDA to say thank you and I did it!!!
I almost feel like if I help someone with a quilting question, that I have to always post my help/tutorial or drawings? Even when I may not be comfortable sharing a rather poorly done photographic tutorial put together rather quickly?
that was me and i apologize. it was my mistaken understanding that the lesson was given onboard. words cannot tell you how sorry i am that i hurt you. i think you know that, amma.

when someone is in the learning process, everyone wants to see the mistakes, if there are any, as well as the progress. that's how we all learn. those mistakes are the same ones we are all prone to making, and learning how to get past them is important. i keep hearing that we're supposed to be a family, and family members don't get embarrassed by their mistakes. that's why we ask for help in the first place. how nice for all of us if we all knew it all and didn't need any help. i often need help, and i'm glad to say that people have been very kind about giving it.

i like it when members show us what they're up to and what they plan to do next. then they show where they are in the project and ask opinions about what the next step might be. then they show us what decision was made and what the finished project looks like. it 's like we're all in the next room peeping in from time to time. we hear the quilter say, 'oh, beans! look at what i did wrong!', and we all run in to see. i feel as though we're taking part in a quilting conversation. when this give and take doesn't happen, i feel like quilters are saying 'here's my quilt', instead of saying 'share what happened'. imho.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:44 PM

i feel as though we're taking part in a quilting conversation. when this give and take doesn't happen, i feel like quilters are saying 'here's my quilt', instead of saying 'share what happened'. imho.
Perfect example of what has happened in GCC its no longer a conversation among friends.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM

i don't think it has only happened in cc. i think it has also happened in pics and tutes as well as main. all over, in fact. we've become insular by and large, with a few exceptions, showing our projects to our friends. i have no idea what's happening in pda, because i don't go there. i don't go there because i feel it's it's for personal conversation, not quilty stuff. i thought the quilty stuff would stay open to the general public. if people want to talk over the fence, they should do it. but if they have something to show, they should share it. they can always cross-post, as admin said. keep your personal conversations personal and show us what you've accomplished. we want to see.

people should feel free to look at what they want to, but the board is primarily q quilting board. everyone wants to see the quilts and the making of them.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM

[quote=Admin]
And now you say it was wrong to post about his death and wrong to reply
Where exactly did I say that?

[quote]

You said it on page 12 - not an exact quote, but it went something like this - 'first there will be 1 person talking about someone who died, then it will be 5 others who died and soon it will be 10. When do we decide to lock it? or to delete it?' That certainly made it sound like you don't want us talking about someone's death.

Frankly Admin, I think you're anticipating a problem where there wasn't one with this specific subject. You can probably tell by the number of 'hits' the Patrick Swayze Thread had today, that it was of interest to many people on the Board.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 PM

Gee, this is a problem & I tried to read parts, but it's way out of hand as I see it. I was glad when PDA was created because I could go to "My Page" write in "My Diary" things I'm feeling or things that are or that have happened & if someone wants to stop by & comment, great. I've written more personal things on there & hopefully it didn't slow the people who want to stop by GCC for a quick look/see.

A few months back I had a moderator delete my address that I had posted (I wasn't thinking), hoping another member would be able to send me a pattern. I had no idea there was a copyright on that paticular pattern, just looked like a drawing on paper, so I understood & if I see a pattern I'd like to have, I ask if the person who posted it knows where I can find one. I didn't jump up & down, kick & holler.

Life's too short to create such a mess as this has become. Earlier when I started reading all this, I knew what I'd gotten the hint of in yesterday's talks on PDA. Never would I have thought this was such a para-diem shift to the left.

Good luck on finding a happy medium for the mass.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 AM

We are now on page 14 or is it 15!!!!! of this discussion. This can go on ad infinitum (I hope I used that term correctly, it sounds so good).

Admin. I am respectfully beeeegiiing you to pleeeeease make the decisions you need to make and let the chips fall where they may. There is ample information to make the decisions you seem to be reluctant to make for fear of alienating a few (whoever they are).
Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 AM

there has been a recent change in the practice of not sharing quiltmaking s it goes along, and i, for one, am very happy. thank you, amma, for sharing your thread,, but mostly for moving it over from pda. as you can tell from the comments, everybody loves the idea.

xoxoxo
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Administrator

I'm going to lock this thread. Thanks again for all your feedback.

I'll update the guidelines in a day or so.