Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Genetics ... who do you favor? >

Genetics ... who do you favor?

Genetics ... who do you favor?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:59 AM

Lucky me! I inherited all of my Mother's allergies and all of my Dad's arhtritis and bursitis. Such generous parents!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

i inherited my dad's abilities in the construction area but i also inherited his bad knees. i inherited my mom's abilities in the crafts area but not her artistic abilities. neither of my girls inherited my love for making things. hopefully, my DGKs will take over those abilities. my hairline came from my dad and the way it grayed so nicely. i inherited my down-home cooking abilities from my mom but not her housekeeping
Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 AM

I tend to look more like my mama...I was driving one day, glanced at my hands and thought, "I hope Mama doesn't need them, cuz *I* have her hands!"

I have to tell a funny story....my spousal unit is 11 years younger than I am...and only 6 years older than my oldest son. (I was almost 17 when he was born). We had gone to visit Tim in Tombstone, where at the time he worked as an actor in the gunfights that they have. Tim introduced us to one of the women he worked with, who had, shall we say, already been hitting the bottle a bit at 10am. He's always called William "Dad", and introduced us to her as "This is my mom and dad...". We chatted just a short bit and then she told us, "I have to go get ready, but before I go, Tim, I just HAVE to tell you how much you look like YOUR DAD!"
We ROLLED!! Tim looks nothing like William, he looks like me...we decided that since William has blue eyes, that it must be Tim's one blue eye that made her think that! (Tim has one blue eye, one brown eye because he was burned in an accident and lost the sight in his right eye.)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 AM

I don't have much to add to this except I think it is a HOOT how OP's grandmother got out of kneading bread all those years!! Way to go!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 AM

I look like my dad but have my moms mind set or attidude.My mom is my best friend!!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 AM

I am the spitting image of one of my great grandmothers.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
I have this theory that first borns inherit more from the father, the second one looks more like the mother, and the third one is anybody's guess.
My family (that is my entire extended family including all aunts/uncles and cousins - so some 50+ people involved here!) can blow that theory away. My fathers mother imprinted ALL of her 10 children with her less than stunning looks. All of her children imprinted their children with the same looks. My family reunions look like it could be a casting call for the Mr. Smith character(s) in "The Matrix".

My first day of high school the football coach spotted me in the hallway and yelled out my last name. He took one look at me and having had coached my brothers and cousins - just knew I was "one of them". My entire life I was picked out of a crowd as being Bob's sister, or Frank's cousin.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Remember, you may have features from grandparents or even great-grands that got passed down through your parents. I definitely have my dad's eyes and my mother's weight problem, but I'm generally a blend of their recessive genes, the ones they carry but that don't show up because they have more dominant genes.

Last edited by Lisanne; 12-11-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM

I have one daughter who looks a bit like her maternal grandmother and has the wonderful disposition of her maternal great-grandmother. I have one son who looks like my brother and one son who is a carbon copy of his father, even the voice is the same. Now that I am in my 70's I am starting to look like my mother. I have my father's IQ, although his was a little higher - about 160.It's not so bad for your kids to look like their relatives, but when they have personality faults that the relatives have, that's bad. Anti-social behavior patterns apparently can be genetic. Depression can be.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 AM

This is so funny I was doing something a few minutes ago and noticed how I have Moms hands-I think I look more like her than my father but my brothers say I look like our paternal gr/m-she was cute but hateful as the day is long-I have Moms disposition : ) - and shape : ) but not her height-she was 5' 11"-Dad was 5'5"(now only 5'2") I'm 5'3"..I got all my good traits from Moms side.Even Pops agrees with this- the old boy has mellowed with age