Goodbye Wedding Dress

Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Goodbye Wedding Dress

I am doing something very different for a very good friend or I wouldn't do it lol. His daughter got married, I went to the wedding some weeks ago.

Instead of storing the dress, which is beautiful, she decided she wanted to make a Christmas tree skirt out of the skirt and train part and pillows out of the top.

I have already ripped the skirt and was very carful not to disturb the beading. I will cut it tomorrow and show pics. I ripped the top too and removed as much beaded trim that was seperate and I will do those later. The back of the dress with be one pillow and it will have retain the lace up style like the dress and the front will be another pillow. This way she can enjoy the pillows all year and the skirt at least once a year.

It was a very expensive dress and chances are, if she has a daughter, the style will be passe. She didn't want to wear her mother's wedding dress either lol. I wonder how many brides would do that. Her mother's dress is still in a storage box.

I had no problem agreeing to her wish.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Nice she and husband will be able to enjoy their wedding everyday.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 PM

I think it's a good idea. Certainly better than sitting in a box never to be used again.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Please post the items once you have completed them.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

Can't wait to see the pics as you work your magic on all of the items
Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM

What a great idea!

My mother saved her wedding dress for me. She got married in the late 60's. Her white dress had avocado green and mustard yellow flowers embroidered all over it. What puzzles me is after deciding she hated her avocado green kitchen, with the avocado green linoleum floors, and avocado green appliances, she still thought that dress was pretty enough to save for me. Fortunately I was a different size!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Great idea but can't imagine cutting the dress. I can barely cut some of my fabric! I actually bought a very large wedding dress at a garage sale for $1 to cut up for the lace, etc. but it is still on the back of my bedroom door - I just cannot make myself cut it apart.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 PM

My daughter's dress had a shawl - both dress and shawl had embroidery. I wasn't quilting at that time, but had a friend take the shawl and make it into a baby quilt. When she opened it at a baby shower she burst into tears saying, "I remembered you saying that's what it would be good for, but NEVER thought you'd remember!" Good Mama Moment. The dresses - both hers (10 years ago) and mine (38 years ago) are hanging in the same closet here. Sigh......... So glad someone's finding a better use for one. My only hope is to have mine on display at our 50th.... (and let everyone wonder how on earth I fit into that tiny thing)
Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 AM

I saw this idea somewhere before, and I think they also made a christening robe/dress out of the wedding gown. This is better than the 'day after pics' I've seen - the bride runs in to the surf in her wedding gown, just about destroying it. A funny - my 4 year old GD was with me in the Thrift Store. They had a rack with many gowns and GD is looking at them and telling me about the beautiful beads and lace! What can we make Grams?!?!?!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I think it's a good idea. Certainly better than sitting in a box never to be used again.
My sentiments as well -lots of my friends got me to convert their 'wedding meringues ' into mosquito netting and bassinette covers or Christening gowns for their babies. In my opinion, making good, practical use of expensive material.