Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Google magazines free

Hi- I received a 'how-to' on reading magazines free on google books.
    Save some gas. Instead of driving to your local library you can now read past editions of nearly two dozen popular print magazines on Google Books. Earlier this month Google Books announced that they have added a select number of print magazines to their online repository that you can read for free online. We've always enjoyed jumping into the way back machine to read articles from the past.

Just type in a the name of a magazine followed by "magazine" at Google Books and it will pop up results for that magazine. Each magazine page features two tabs at the top of the page: "Read this Magazine" and "About this Magazine". If you click the "about" tab it will take you to the magazine's homepage which features a list of every edition archived in Google Books.
    Some of the magazines listed:
    American Cowboy
    Atlanta
    Baseball Digest
    Best Life
    Better Nutrition
    Bicycling
    Cincinnati
    CIO
    Cruise Travel
    Dwell
    Ebony
    Indianapolis
    Jet
    Life
    Log Home Living
    Mac Life
    Maximum PC
    Men's Health
    Mountain Biker
    New York
    Organic Gardening
    Popular Mechanics
    Prevention
    Runners World
    Running Times
    Vegetarian Times
    Women's Health
    Yoga Journal

I spent several hours looking at old magazines. Lots of car wax, booze and cigarette ads in the 1958 Life issue.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a great website for the nights I can't sleep! I'm just clicking away. Thanks.

I loved looking at an old issue of Life. Will definitely be looking at Veg Times and Yoga Journal, since I'm trying to go mostly vegan for the next several months.

There are good books there, too, even picture books for kids. Not all of these are ancient classics, either. I gather the books are "previews" meaning some of the book is there, even most of it in some cases, but not all of it. Still, if you're not sure you'd like a book, you can read up to the missing part and then decide.

Thanks for posting this!

Blog Entries
    Wow!! Thank you for sharing this great find :D :D :D

How great is that. I can read mags on my computer. I love being able to look at past issues.

Type in quilting magazines and they have a limited view but some of them have some great info.