Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that? >

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 AM

Oh I am so envious of all you snow warriors! Growing up in the Southeastern corner of NC, I didn't see snow until i was six. It was gone almost before it got there. But I do remember building thousands of tobacco stick houses with my sisters. So sad to have to tear them down when we finished playing. We made a game or a race out of everything we did!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

grew up with 3 brothers and a lot of hillbilly cousins. Snow forts were standard survival skills. with at least 12 kids throwing snowballs you needed a barrier to hide behind! lol ahh memories
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM

I remember doing that with a couple of my buddies when I was a kid, I only had 2 boys my age to play with which was just fine for a tom boy. We were going to make igloos, but that turned out to hard so we went with fort walls. And when did making snowmen get so hard? They were simple when I was a kid, but I started out to make one a couple of years ago and found that to be way too much work! I bet your grandsons had a ball!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 AM

Oh the fun times... we must commit to keeping our grands "grounded"!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Anyone play fox and geese in the snow? That was one of my favorite things. Loved that game. Snow time was fun time.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM

We use to make snow forts. After Christmas when everyone put their tree by the road we would go and collect them and then pack the snow around the trees to make it stronger. Whether it did or not is another question. Our parents were in a shock when the snow thawed and all these trees were in the neighbor's yard long after Christmas.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Oh yes Those WERE the days of fun. When I was young we lived in Rhoad Island and when the snow got packed down we made tunnels so we could crawl from one place to another without being seen and we had snow forts that we built, full of snow balls just waiting for the neighbor kids to come by. LOL or one of the older siblings to come in from work. There was 14 of us kids and we had so much fun in the snow.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 PM

What an awesome grandma! Memories forever!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM

What a great memory you made for your grandsons. Hopefully next time you can show them another memory maker.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM

I grew up on the west coast in Southern Calif.. We never had snow unless it was a pile of ice pellets that someone ground up and blew out of a machine, then called it snow.. it wasn't snow.. a giant snow cone perhaps... but not snow.

I didn't see snow fall out of the sky until I was a LOT older. Even so, I think I would have figured out how to make snow bricks and build a wall.. Like many thousands of others we had to make our own fun out of whatever we could get our hands on.

On the other hand I could be outdoors, gone all day, running in the grape vineyard, playing baseball with a wood slat and an green piece of fruit, wandering in the canyon behind us, and no one had to watch out for me, or wonder if I would be taken, raped or killed. It was a safer and simpler time. We had a lot of hours to figure things out.