Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Grandmas...  Need fun activities with grandchildren >

Grandmas... Need fun activities with grandchildren

Grandmas... Need fun activities with grandchildren

Old 12-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Grandpa makes sweet rolls with the grandkids. A 'must do' for every gathering.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Great ideas being shared. Reading stories to them while sitting with them one on each side is treasured time spent at Grandma's. A great time to share stories of Christmases past or of giving to others, etc. Enjoy them, they grow up wayyy too fast!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:01 PM

If you have shoe boxes around, you could let them cover the boxes with fabric scraps & mod podge. They will have their own treasure box. This is always fun for kids.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:46 PM

I am making fleece tie pillow kits for mine .... ages 7-3. the older ones can tie and I will help the younger ones... do them like the tie fleece blankets, only pillows with pillow forms... We have Frozen fleece for the girls, Spiderman, Ninja's and Olaf for the boys.... I think it will be fun.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:48 PM

I use masking tape to make an indoor hopscotch grid. I've also made little bean bags and then set up 'targets'--shoe boxes or pails at varying distances. As said before, some old magazines, some art paper, kid's scissors and a glue stick are great for creating their own pictures or collages.

I've found that baking is not always so good with my girls (6 and 3) because the younger one insists on doing everything her sister does. We have over come that problem by making two of everything-the younger one's on a smaller scale of course. If you go the kitchen fun route, make sure you have a couple of aprons handy (old shirts with a piece of tape for a belt, work. )
Old 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM

"I use masking tape to make an indoor hopscotch grid." That is such a great and simple idea. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:22 AM

I saw this simple kid recipe that I will be doing with my granddaughter. Also make candy canes with beads and pipe cleaners, clay ornaments, foam ornament kits from craft store. Have fin![ATTACH=CONFIG]503122[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Spread plastic on your table and let them "paint" different shapes of pasta (must have hole to string them) and when they are dry, they can string them for the Christmas tree, necklaces, bracelets, etc. if they will be used, or you want them to last, spray them with clear acrylic and allow to dry before stringing. They can paint with food coloring, acrylic paints, or even use felt pens.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:43 PM

What great ideas! It makes me miss my grand babies. The last time I was with them we had such great fun making Gingerbread houses from the kits and reading books. We used chalk outside (not a rainy day for once!) and drew mazes and walked the lines and mazes. My 6yo grandson is so in charge he would tell us (myself and his younger brother) when to stop and go. Oh my the time went so fast!