Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grandmas... Need fun activities with grandchildren

Grandmas... Need fun activities with grandchildren

The grandchildren are coming to visit for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon with their parents. There is a boy (6) and a girl (5).

What fun things do you do with your grandchildren when they come to visit?

bake and/or decorate cookies, color with them, play a board game, go for a walk...
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Not a grandma but........

Messy art projects are always fun, cutting up magazines and making collages, painting pre stamped wood or ceramic ornaments or decoration items, making a Christmas card for parents or other family member.

Kids love to bake cookies mixing the dough or decorating the sugar cookies or gingerbread people

Take some silly holiday family pictures print them and put them in homemade cards for mom and dad

Rent DVDs and watch holiday movies together with hot chocolate and cookies or pop corn

Kids do love to go on walks collect or take pictures of the odd/ pretty/ or different things you see.

Make a fort in the living room get inside and read stories or tell them stories about when thier mom/dad was young or even your childhood. (the fort is important here kids love forts)
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Hide some things around the house they can keep and have them "find" it. Tell them if they are getting hot or cold.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Blog Entries
    Make some homemade play dough( salt, flour and water), then let them make a round patty to place their hand on. Or whatever they would like to make, maybe an ornament for the tree, Kids that age love squishing dough in their hands. My grandson is 9 years old, and he still likes to mess with Play Dough. I usually buy it at the Dollar Store so he has different colors . We use cookie cutters with it . I could use those to actually make cookies, but then we have a mess.LOL

Blog Entries
    I am making gingerbread houses with mine, 6 kids, all aged 4-9. it will be so much fun. We did it last year but only 3 were here, and they loved it. You can buy the kits, to make it easier cause there is no baking

If that sounds like too much just make gingerbread men, you can bake them yourself, and the decorating would be fun for them, and then everyone gets to eat!
    fatquarters

Pop sickle sticks glue and a few odds and ends make fun ornaments too

Reindeer
    Handprint and frame
    Or picture frame ornaments

My kids made these and I still hang them on the tree every year. .
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    Ask parents what they like unless it's video games. Do they still make disposable cameras? Give them each one and take them outside for a walk and take photos or take photos inside during and after crafting/creating. Create a memory book. So many great ideas.

If you don't want to get TOO carried away with cookie decorating, you can make a batch of brownies, cut them out with a tree cookie cutter, and let the kids slather on green frosting and decorate with mini M&Ms.

My grandson loves to play "Go Fish" and Monopoly. He is 6. He likes to play on the computer but he really likes the attention he gets when we play a board game. Candyland is good, too. Baking cookies is another past time. My kitchen is a mess but that's OK. Floors mop real easy. We color pictures and read books, too. If it's warm outside, side walk chalk is a fun thing and don't forget the bubbles. Sometimes the old fashion things are the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast