Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Grease cutter advice, please >

Grease cutter advice, please

Grease cutter advice, please

Old 10-30-2016, 07:15 PM

There are products you can get at auto stores like PepBoys or Autozone made to cut engine grease that would work really well on that fan. They are strong chemicals, but easier to get the grease off than some others.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I realized I need this information too. Found this video that uses Super Clean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z800trmZJyY

I am a little leery of using an automotive product in the house, but Super Clean is biodegradable so I'm thinking it might be okay. You *do* need to be careful with it and not let it dry before wiping it off. The reviews on Amazon are pretty favorable so I'm thinking of trying it:
https://www.amazon.com/SuperClean-10...dp/B0039ZBLEC/

Edit: On second thought, after reading the negative reviews, I don't think I want to use it on our 10-year-old expensive stove hood. Will look for something similar that is not as caustic.

Edit 2: Easy Off Degreaser looks like it might work.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-30-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:29 PM

Simple Green or Blue Dawn if you want to scrub. Can you remove the greasy part to let it soak? If so, try soaking in a pan /bucket/whatever works of hot water, a few drops of Blue dawn and a plain unscented Dryer sheet. After a couple hours or over night, of soaking, the crud should come off easily
Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
I use a product called "It's Awesome." I buy it a 99c stores.
Me too. Lay the screen in the plugged sink, let stand with spray all over it for about 5 minutes, then fill sink with straight hot water. Let stand until cool. (You could boil water for this) If it is not clean, repeat. For gunk stuck in little crevices on it, a quick trip through the dishwasher finishes it nicely.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:11 AM

We took ours down and sent out to be steam cleaned. Now I own a steamer (for draperies, etc from a flea mkt for $15.) If you have access to a steamer, cover your stovetop w/plastic and lots of newspapers. Let the drippings fall on paper. Easy finish from there.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 AM

Dawn Dishwashing soap..my go-to fave and it works! Add some vinegar to it if you want to. Dilute both in water. I clean my webbed outdoor furniture every spring ...using Dawn. My furniture sits in a barn and after a winter of crotters crapping all over the pieces, Dawn and vinegar just does the job. I need to clean my hood screen too.
sandy
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Me too. Lay the screen in the plugged sink, let stand with spray all over it for about 5 minutes, then fill sink with straight hot water. Let stand until cool. (You could boil water for this) If it is not clean, repeat. For gunk stuck in little crevices on it, a quick trip through the dishwasher finishes it nicely.
nice info! Thanks
sandy
Old 10-31-2016, 03:28 AM
Administrator

regardless of the cleaning product you choose, i'll bet it would be a lot easier to get into its nooks and crannies if you took it down as mermaid suggested.

don't ask me to admit how i know, but the run-of-mill steamers for household use will not make the work much easier or less disgusting.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:54 AM

They have grease cutters at Home Depot in the cleaning dept. Don't use soap and water...that won't help. I had something with a 1/2" of gummy gunk and it took it right off. Sorry, can't remember the brand. I will never fight that stuff with out a commercial grease cutter again, no scrubbing necessary.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:49 AM

A friend of mine swears by a product called Greased Lightening, that she swears is better than blue Dawn. I think it is available at lumber or dollar stores. The best degreaser on walls or cabinets that I have found is Trisodium Phosphate (granular) or Lowes has a similar product that is an orange liquid that is similar, right next to the granular version. If the hood is painted though, it may strip the paint. Wear rubber gloves, but there is not a chemical odor at all. I have used it for years to prepare walls to paint, or to wipe down the kitchen cabinets occasionally.