Grrr....my naughty dog!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
Hi,

Having been a Staffie owner, I guess that he is not treating you as the alpha dog of his pack and is therefore ignoring you. the male Staffie can be very dominant.

Without knowing more about his behaviour it is difficult to make suggestions, but it does sound as if he needs training classes and/or a dog behavourist.
Hes not a dominant dog, he is actually very submissive. This has only started happening in the past 3 weeks, and has progressivly gotten worse. Normally hes a good boy! But gee, so stubborn :lol:

I may not have any other choice than a behaviourist if he keeps it up....or a new home!

Oh by the way, he is 5 years old
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tweetee
Hi,

Having been a Staffie owner, I guess that he is not treating you as the alpha dog of his pack and is therefore ignoring you. the male Staffie can be very dominant.

Without knowing more about his behaviour it is difficult to make suggestions, but it does sound as if he needs training classes and/or a dog behavourist.
Hes not a dominant dog, he is actually very submissive. This has only started happening in the past 3 weeks, and has progressivly gotten worse. Normally hes a good boy! But gee, so stubborn :lol:

I may not have any other choice than a behaviourist if he keeps it up....or a new home!

Go for a vet visit while you're at it. New behavior may be a health issue.

When you walk him, do you exhaust him or is it a stroll?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM

Is there another dog or cat in the area that may be marking that territory when you aren't around and your dog (bless his soul) may be trying to tell you and neighbors animals SHE's mine. There are sprays to break animals from going where not wanted. Can you wrap one of his doggie blankets around area so he's not gonna want pee on his stuff??
Old 01-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Originally Posted by tweetee
Hi,

Go for a vet visit while you're at it. New behavior may be a health issue.

When you walk him, do you exhaust him or is it a stroll?
no, dont exhaust him, we do some brisk walking, where he trots along, then about 10 minutes from home its a stroll, so he gets his breath back.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
Is there another dog or cat in the area that may be marking that territory when you aren't around and your dog (bless his soul) may be trying to tell you and neighbors animals SHE's mine. There are sprays to break animals from going where not wanted. Can you wrap one of his doggie blankets around area so he's not gonna want pee on his stuff??
You might be onto something there...We have had a new dog move into the area, although has never been in my yard. They blanket idea is a good one, might also have a look for the spray you mentioned too.
Thanks very much
Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 PM

I agree with the vet. I have heard that dogs have short term memory so once their business is done rubbing their nose and using spoon is not going to do much but hurt the poor puppy. I am not sure but has your area received a lot of rain? Maybe the ground is different for his feet?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM

we have had alot of rain and there is alot more grass that what there was, but he doesnt appear to have an avesion to the grass, as he still runs all over the backyard when we play fetch and tug of war etc.

But, a couple of weeks ago, we did have rain for a week solid, and the ground was VERY wet, and he did do a couple under the pergola then, but over near the very edge. Perhaps its developed into a habit from that. But how to stop it. perhaps seeking advice from the vet is the best way to go..and the spray too, as I dont like to spank him.
Thankyou all for your suggestions, you have been very helpful
Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM

I don't know how to tell you to break him of this but I do know you need to remove the scent from the area he's using. as long as he can find a scent-his or another dog he will keep going there. I've heard Nature's Remedy works well.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM

I don't know how to training an outside dog. Most dogs have to be caught in the act. I do know one thing, I would never spank a dog, I don't care what he did. If something was so bad that I had to spank him, I would rehome him. There are families that are willing to training a dog properly but spanking is not it.

You could probably take him, on leash, to the area you want him to go in. That takes a lot of attention and you have to know his routine.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM

I would fill milk gallon jugs with water and put them where you don't want him to go.
That has worked for me.