Grumpy

Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 PM

I want a call ,if not I don't answer my door!!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:10 PM

I used to die of embarrassment when my folks would 'go for a drive' and drop in on someone. My dad's excuse was that he didn't want the people to 'to to any trouble' just because we were stopping by. I thought it was rude.

Now, I welcome folks who drop in on me. My house is open to friends. if I have to leave for something I can't put off util later, I tell them how long we have to visit. otherwise, I put on the coffee or get out the wine, and we have a good chat.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
How does everyone feel about people you haven't seen in a long time just dropping in for a visit? I must be getting old and grumpy but I would like a call first.
I used to like a call so I could tidy up if needed, nowadays I accept that they have come to see me not how well I keep house. I must be getting old as I now think any visitors have to take me as they find me mess an all.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM

I'd like a call. I live in the mountains, and we are a mile up the dirt road. Snow is tough, mud is worse, noone just randomly comes by. thank goodness
Old 12-10-2011, 04:53 PM

i work 12 hour days at a high stress job. i have a hubby with parkinson's, who is not much good around the house (he never has been--lots worse since the parkinson's) i raised 3 kids, had a house full of pets, yard full of chickens, a house full of projects, and a head full of ideas. now, i'm too tired out to do much more than "maintain". if you know me well, come on over, and i'll find a horizontal surface for you to sit on. most of them are covered with papers, reference books, continuing education, and fabric. if you are expecting to see a showplace, don't bother coming over, or give me a week's notice. never--i repeat, NEVER wear your white gloves or expect perfection. i have a life outside my home, and it consumes most of my time.

and when i retire in a few years, my first two weeks are going to be spent in my jammies, just catching up on sleep. then, and only then should you approach the house. and then, bring chocolate. or fabric. or both. then, we'll talk.

crabby old broad, huh? nope. it's self defense. i'm too tired to care, and too old to compete. home is where i come to hide out--not to show it off. come to visit me, not to look at the environment. if you arrive and surprise me, i'm not responsible for my reaction--or for ignoring you out there, knocking on my door...
Old 12-10-2011, 05:04 PM

My home is alway open for family or visitors, I have nothing to hide and the welcome mat means exactly what it says.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I enjoy people but call first, usually its just a few things to pick up since my sewing is out in the other room. But I maybe leaving for a while or not feeling good or not feeling like having anyone over for a visit, so I tell people call first !
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Dee

I like a call ahead. I myself don't feel comfortable just dropping in on someone. I think its courtesty.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Drop-in's drive me crazy. I would prefer a call first. Sometimes my house is not in the neatest condition, sometimes I have more dishes in the sink than just a cup or bowl, sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with people and being a good hostess.
I try to call and give somebody a heads up and let them know if I would like to stop in to say hi, that way if it isn't convienent for visitors they can say so. Even placing a phone call to just chit chat I will try and ask if it is a good time.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 PM

If you are coming to see me drop in anytime if you are coming to see my house call two months in advance!