Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Guild weight loss challenge?? >

Guild weight loss challenge??

Guild weight loss challenge??

Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 PM

Default Guild weight loss challenge??

Like many in my Guild, I could stand to lose about 10% of my body weight and couple of us talking about need for incentive--thought maybe we could do a challenge to any interested in participating in a weight loss challenge to lose 10% or more. Think it would need to be done after the meeting, be totally voluntary, no public weigh in, etc--maybe just celebrate when people lose, share ideas and recipes to help, provide support.

I don't want anyone to be insulted, but we are a group with several seriously overweight members (self included) and some are having significant health problems related to it. And I know for me, being encouraged by a group really helps.

What do you think?
Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Power Poster

How about joining a group like TOPS? There might be one near you. Or you could start your own group. I don't think you need very many people to start your own chapter.

If you started your own chapter, you could have the meeting right before or right after the guild meeting.

There is an annual fee/dues - and most groups have dues -

There is also Overeaters Anonymous - which did not have dues - but in my limited experience, I found the TOPS group to be a lot more positive.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
............ What do you think?
Great idea ....
However, I think you have far more at risk, in trying to do it as a combo effort with your Guild activities. Some may take offence. Some may feel it overrides the Guild purposes, even if you try to do it before or after. And there could be a lot more repercussions that come into play.

It may be better to say,
"I am going to "x" (name of program, date, time, place).
Hope some may want to meet me there!"

That way, you have put it out there, and all are invited.
Plus by saying so, you now have the accountability to be sure you get there!!!
If the others come ... great.
If not, their loss .... while you begin a better loss!!!

Whether others go or not, I think you may find you will get a lot more support at your Guild activities, just because you openly stated your intent .......

Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 AM

My bee had one a few years ago. We called it "Lose your Fat Quarter!" Every person had to enter a fat quarter to start, everyone weighed and wrote their weight on a note card, put it in an envelope, where it was held. The envelopes were sealed. We weighed there. At the end of the "term" every person who had lost had their note card put in a lot and we drew for the FQ bundle. It was fun and it didn't matter how much you had to lose or who lost the most. Just that you lost.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:44 PM

There's a weight loss group on this board. Do a search or maybe one of them will message.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

I like toverly's idea. Sounds like a fun way to do it. My guild sure would benefit from something like this. Hope yours does to.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
My bee had one a few years ago. We called it "Lose your Fat Quarter!" Every person had to enter a fat quarter to start, everyone weighed and wrote their weight on a note card, put it in an envelope, where it was held. The envelopes were sealed. We weighed there. At the end of the "term" every person who had lost had their note card put in a lot and we drew for the FQ bundle. It was fun and it didn't matter how much you had to lose or who lost the most. Just that you lost.
I Like the no pressure/no embarrassment approach to this.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 PM

After doing a lot of research for over-weight injured workers you would be so much better joining Weight Watchers. They have the best record for weight reduction, they have recipes, counselors, etc. I am not affiliated with them I have just done the research. And once you start to lose weight people will ask you how you are doing it and you can invite them to meetings. My husband has been doing it for 2 years now and he is keeping his weight off too. (He lost over 70 lbs.) He goes to the same meeting every week, has the same people most of the time, they even have a Facebook page just for their group. It really is conducive for friends signing up together.

WW does not condone fat shaming - no one knows what you weigh unless you want them to know. They don't announce who gained.

Good luck!