Gulf Oil Spill and Seafood

Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

From what I'm hearing on the news about the oil spill it could be heading up the east coast as well. I'm afraid to eat any seafood now and we love shrimp!! This oil disaster is awfulll!!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 PM

I hear you loud and clear. And just think how expensive seafood is going to be before long if you do decide it is safe to buy!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM

The damage that is being done from this oil spill is making me sick. Every October we spend a week at Cape Hatteras NC..I wonder what it will be like at the waters edge of that pristine beach? We found a wonderful fish market where the boats come in and you can buy fresh shrimp for 1.50 a pound. In october it will probably be 15.00 a pound. Will it be safe to eat seafood? I guess only time will tell.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM

this is really a bad thing...... :(
Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM

I think this disaster is beyond anything we have ever seen before, and they don't seem to know how to stop it. Heaven help us. :cry:
Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I think this disaster is beyond anything we have ever seen before, and they don't seem to know how to stop it. Heaven help us. :cry:

In total agreement. It sickens me. I live about 2 hours or so north of the coast here in Louisiana, and unless my car is sick, the air smelled really weird here this morning.....
Old 05-24-2010, 05:43 PM
JJs
Banned

the cost of shrimp is the least of the worries....
dead dolphins, dead turtles, dead birds, nesting areas decimated, tarry oily mess on beaches, in the marshes...
this is OUR nightly news, our morning news, our noon news...

think about this - you depend on going out in your boat everyday to catch fish/shrimp/oysters
your neighbor depends on you to bring the fish/shrimp/oysters to his shop where more neighbors sort, clean, package and ship the fish/shrimp/oysters to markets and restaurants all over the country...
you all do that in order to pay the bills, put food on the table, in other words - that's how you make your living...

now you can't

and the oil company - in this case - BP - British Petroleum - says, "ok, we'll pay you to do cleanup so you'll have some money to pay your bills and put food on the table since your job is gone"...

so you report to do that and guess what - they've already hired the illegals to do it - imported them here from out of state! saved a few bucks, but hey....
(and just for the ones who don't believe it:
http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/94364134.html )

The Gov of Louisiana is so disgusted with the whole thing...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
JJs
Banned

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/94364134.html

why the first link doesn't work is beyond me.. it was the )
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM

This makes me sick. Did you notice BP didn't admit to the amount of oil being spilled until underwater pictures were published? Would you own a business (any business) and not have a disaster or "worst case scenario" plan? This is not going away soon-I only see it getting worse. I am so sorry for those who are losing there income. I cringe when they show pictures of the birds and sea creatures. Shouldn't BP have to do something for them?? (Sorry for the rant-I'll go take a Valium now but this whole thing has me really pi**ed off!!)
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Is it true that they are STILL cleaning up oil from the Exxon Valdez spill? I can't believe it is taking them so long to stop this catastrophe.