Hail Damaged Car

Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 AM

Default Hail Damaged Car

I have a question about the car being deemed totaled with progressive insurance. I still owe 3 more years on it and have gap ins. My credit right now is not too good. We are buying the car through Carmax. I know they said we could buy it back. They said that we would they wouldn't recommend that we cancel the claim. If we cancel it would we be able to insure it with them or anyone else?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM

While I do not know the answer to your question, I am so sorry you now have a "dimpled darling". After the 1980's hail storm, we had Harris County, Texas new car dealers who sold the "dimpled darlings" at much reduced prices. Everybody in the county and surrounding counties had one, so no one "noticed" any of the others on the road. I'll bet your neighbors all have the same "dimpled darlings". Eventually, all the cars aged enough to be replaced with new ones, but they had long lives. Unless the windows broke so that water came in, your car is still okay.....just dimpled. If the interior is wet, then do what is advised to dry it out. Best of luck to you on whatever decision you make.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I have no answer. I have never heard of a car being totaled by hail damage.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:43 AM

My brother's car (a Mustang!) was totaled by hail in the 70's. He bought it back and drove it with all the dents in it for several years. Turned out to be a great conversation starter because my SIL was in the car on the freeway when it was damaged. No broken glass, so she was fine, just scared. The car had 1/2 inch deep dents all over it.
Sorry this happened to you, best of luck in making your decision.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 AM
Banned

That must have been some giant hail for it to be totalled!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 AM

We had our Prius pummeled with hail a few years ago and our insurance company paid to have all the dimples fixed on the roof and hood. Good as new and it only cost us the deductible. Sorry about your car. It is still drivable
Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 AM

I wish I also knew how to advise you. We just brought our car in for fixing of hail damage from a hail storm that hit us in February. From what I gathered through our learning process in this ordeal, if the amount of damage to the hood, roof and trunk is more than the car is worth, they are totaling the cars. You can buy back the totaled car, but your title will say it is "salvaged" and you probably would not be able to insure it for comprehensive insurance, but I think you would be okay with liability insurance. My car is nine years old and my teenage son drives this car so I was holding my breathe hoping they would not total it. It is the perfect starter car for him. Luckily, they did not total it but the damage was over $3500.00 and they are doing the paintless dent removal process so no parts are having to be replaced. There are several people with brand new cars that have over $12,000.00 worth of damage and they are not totaling the cars but replacing hoods, trunks, etc.

Check with your insurance agent and also your state requirements because everybody is different.

I wish you lot's of luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 AM

I also cannot believe it's totaled. There are companies that do 'Paintless Dent Repair", & here in PA. 99% of Ins Co's (yes, even Progressive) tell us we MUST use that kind of repair, we do, & it's great. There are a few dents that may need 'normal' body repair. And, it is way cheaper than 'regular body repair'. Usually Ins co's total a car when damages reach 80-90% of the value of the car. Each Ins Co has their own idea of what is total. Call& ask. Also I would call the Ins c & ask if they would Ins my car under these circumstances. As far as I know, yes, they would. But, I realize that each state! also has different rules about things. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM

call your state insurance commissioner if you have questions or are dissatisfied with what you are being told ---that is what they are there for---my DH was in the insurance business for years and this is what he advised people to do--also tell your company that you are going to do that--- sometimes that gives them a well needed kick in the b---
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM

I saw your questiion and one of my sons is an insurance salesman so I posed your question to him. His answer is that yes if you get it fixed you can then insure it. The company will have their agent check for decreased driveability and if there isn't a problem (which hail damage would not cause that kind of issue) it can be insured. If you do not fix it then it can not be insured by anyone and the title will have SALVAGE in big red letters on it. He said some can insure as is but there can never be another claim on the car for hail insurance if not fixed. I hope that helps. WMD