Happy Happy!!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Smile Happy Happy!!

Hi, This forum is great, although I am often uncertain how to navigate it.Thanks go to cannyquilter for contacting me from Newcastle,I finally realised how to access private messages. We moved 11 months ago and I so missed my quilting group who had met at my home for twenty years. I joined the U.3.A a few months ago, they didn't have a quilting group but had a craft session, mostly cross stitch and embroidery.Today one of the ladies asked for help making a patchwork Christmas tree, I was delighted to offer help and said I would bring an easier pattern plus cutting board the following week.She then announced that I would be giving a 'christmas' decoration session too.I was so happy at the enthusiastic responce, it made me feel really welcome and set my creative juices flowing again.I had said only that morning to my lovely husband that I had so many ideas floating around in my head that I didn't know where to start.If anyone is familiar with A.A.Milne, well I felt like the sailor on the seashore after being shipwrecked----- he had so much to do that he just sat there and didn't get on any of it.I have often had those feeling over the last few months,but now I can get going.This forum also gives so many ideas and instructions,what a great lot you are,I feel happier than I have been since moving.I do make 'prem baby quilts for the local quilt shop appeal as well,so at last I feel useful again. Love Letty
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Moves are tough. I never recovered completely from our move from metro suburban to farm rural 7 years ago, although it has gotten a lot easier. I don't relish moving again, but we are definitely moving back in a few years.

So glad you have found both local support and internet support to help you over the transition hump!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It just takes time, doesn't it, Letty. I'm so glad you have us, we're happy to help; but it's even better that you reached out to join a group even though they weren't *exactly* your type. Look what doors that opened for you!

How I wish more women who have been "displaced" (thru divorce, death of a spouse, retirement, or a major move and new home) would realize that life is what happens while you are sitting on the fence waiting for things to change and reminiscing over what was before. It works so much better when you reach out yourself!!

You put your big girl panties on and got going, hurray for you!! I hope you end up teaching a whole new group of "crafters" that didn't know they were really quilters 'til you came along for them!!

Jan in VA
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
...How I wish more women who have been "displaced" (thru divorce, death of a spouse, retirement, or a major move and new home) would realize that life is what happens while you are sitting on the fence waiting for things to change and reminiscing over what was before. It works so much better when you reach out yourself!! ...
I love this philosophy, Jan. Thanks for reminding me
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Glad you found some ladies to sew with. Have fun teaching.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 AM

So glad that you took a deep breath and got on with your life! Who knows where it may lead. Have a happy time with this new group.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM

SO GLAD you found a group to share with. The sister hood go's on.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM

Moving is tough, even under the best of circumstances! I am so glad you found a group to work with. You sound so happy and that's what it's all about!!!!! Keep creating!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

glad you found a place that makes you happy. we moved here to kansas 5 years ago and it is still the pits. but I can always find things to keep myself busy and love coming here on the QB. i"ve learned more here than in the class I took here when we first came here. I wish you all the best in teaching your group.Have fun. I always had a blast doing craft sessions for the ladies back in ca and having some come to my home to do something.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Thank you for sharing such a great story. I am so happy that the new folks have embraced you and are letting you bloom where you are now planted.