Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone had wall-to-wall carpeting dyed? >

Has anyone had wall-to-wall carpeting dyed?

Has anyone had wall-to-wall carpeting dyed?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Default Has anyone had wall-to-wall carpeting dyed?

Successfully? We want to put our home on the market in the spring, but dh and dd have managed to create a couple of stains in the carpeting that are very noticeable. Carpet is in good shape otherwise, although a little wear near the stairs. Dd's stains are all makeup related. Dh scrubbed the **** out of a cat accident and basically took lots of the color out of a round spot.

I hate to replace carpet that is mostly good, but this carpeting is the low-pile stuff. If it were a plush carpet, I think I could cut pieces out of leftovers and patch them in. That won't work with this type of carpeting.

So, I am just wondering if having someone come in to dye the carpets would be an option. Am concerned that the dye won't "take" evenly in the stained areas. (sigh)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if just having it really clean would be good enough - a lot of people replace carpeting when they buy a house, anyway.

I have know some people to put in the cheapest carpet they can find just so it looks good for a year or two.- until the place is sold. Seems like a waste of money to me.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM

If you've had a cat in the house, more than likely the buyers will want to replace the carpet ... unless they also have a cat. I'd go with a good cleaning. If it is important to buyers, they will either ask for you to replace the carpeting as a condition of sale ... or ask for reduction in price. Why not wait to see what agent, buyer or appraiser says.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM

I agree with the others. Just clean it and set your price, to allow the new owners to replace it.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 AM

I agree with a good, thorough cleaning by a reputable professional. Even if you had it dyed the stained areas would probably "take" differently and still be noticeable.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM

I have not had carpet dyed, but a friend of mine did years ago and was really happy with the results.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

It may be cheaper just to buy cheap carpet. I would think it would be costly. We replaced all our carpeting with oak floors. My cats have never pottied on the floors.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM

I had never heard of carpet dying. Interesting.

Here is a video that gives you some good information. It might help you make a decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aysu-7AAY_k
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
If you've had a cat in the house, more than likely the buyers will want to replace the carpet ... unless they also have a cat. I'd go with a good cleaning. If it is important to buyers, they will either ask for you to replace the carpeting as a condition of sale ... or ask for reduction in price. Why not wait to see what agent, buyer or appraiser says.
I'm with MaryMo on this one. I wouldn't bother with the dyeing. Most buyers are going to re-do most if not all the cosmetics in a newly purchased home and make their bid based on that. Thorough cleaning and call it good. Might want to paint some neutral colors on the walls if your tastes are very specific. Otherwise, I'd let that go as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Lisa, thank you so much for the Youtube video! Their website is very informative also: http://americolordyes.com/index.php

I may end up purchasing the dye pens and Cr-2 to try out. At the very least they may make the stains and bleached out area less noticeable.