Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: has anyone successfully made 100% whole wheat flour bread?

My husband has finally heard me about "white" foods and now wants to start making whole wheat pretzels. We've made white flour pretzels for ages without a hitch. however, the ww does not rise the same way--I know because of something to do with the gluten. any ideas? I am planning to try mixing ww flour with spelt flour and trying that. I understand spelt has gluten. thanks.

Laurie

Blog Entries
    WW flour makes a more dence product. I mix up to 1/2 ww and 1/2 white flour. For a lighter texture I go with 1/4 ww flour to 3/4 white flour. I play around with the recipe and to what works for the best results.

Blog Entries
    I buy gluten and add it to my ww bread. It is a heaver bread but we really enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    I use King Arthur 100% whole wheat flour and it makes lovely loaves. Hodgson Mills has a yeast that works great with whole wheat or more robust flours.

Making homemade bread is a passion so give it all a try. Let us know your results.

I use half and half for whole wheat bread. KAF also has a white whole wheat flour, not sure how that would work.

whole grain flours tend to make a dense product when used alone. What i would recommend is substituting small amounts of WW for white flour(maybe up to 2/3) until you get what you like. you can also buy gluten to add to your flour-check bulk food stores. King Arthur Flour probably carries it too.

Blog Entries
    I add generous amounts of wheat gluten to all of my WW baking. It is needed to get more rise in your baked items. It also adds more nutrients to your baked goods :wink: It is or atleast was added into the recipes that were included in with Bread Machines :D:D:D

I also add more yeast than what the recipe calls for if I have guests who don't care for as dense of bread as I like. Between the gluten and extra yeast I can usually please most people :D:D:D

Now, I am hungry for homemade bread.

I usually do half whole wheat and half regular but have done all ww. You end up with a denser bread. I usually knead it a bit longer than usual which seems to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast