Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone washed old burlap bags? >

Has anyone washed old burlap bags?

Has anyone washed old burlap bags?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I would use ARM AND HAMMER LAUNDRY DETERGENT AND BORAX. Along with that add equal parts of ammonia or vinegar in hot water. You may have to do this a couple times. If you put them into the dryer use unscented or no dryer sheets and on low. you have to remember what was in these bags. If coffee beans, then you would have a mold issue. Yes beans mold. I found these suggestions and they helped me when I purchase some big guy and gal clothes and material from estate sales where the clothes have been stored in cedar closets or attics or they just wore so much perfume it was hard to get out because of the oil in the perfume. Depending on how many you have you might want to try one or two with bleach especially the ones with coffee beans. if after washing the bags and you have the opportunity to hang them outside do it. If it's raining a little that's even better because the rain will soften them.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM

Please write a followup with new post whatever you do. Can you put them with soap in a big tub outside then hang on line where you can even take the water hose to spray rinse them and then dry.