Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has this ever happened to you?  Never in my sewing life.... >

Has this ever happened to you? Never in my sewing life....

Has this ever happened to you? Never in my sewing life....

Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM

have I ever encountered a KNOT in the YLI quilting thread I was using.....until a few minutes ago. I was merrily quilting along when my machine started making awful noises. I thought I had broken the walking foot or something. I'm looking around to see what the problem was when I noticed a KNOT keeping the thread from going through the needle. I was SHOCKED to say the least :!: :? Here is a pic of the thread I cut off the spool. Hope it shows. Should I write them a letter or e-mail them?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174783.jpe  
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM

I think I may have had that happen to me once. Someone was telling me it just happened to them with Aurfil thread.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM

I would email them, also attach the picture.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM

I had a spool once that had many knots.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I think that is just the nature of thread. There has to be a beginning and an end to the thread somewhere. Usually the knot is so small it goes thru the needle and I never know it but sometimes It's too big.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 PM

One knot wouldn't be a big problem to me. Especially if this is the first time it's happened with that particular brand. But if there are lots of them on the same spool that's not acceptable.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Well, I just sent them an e-mail. We'll see what happens. I was just so amazed, never has happened to me before. I did get some of that fuzzy serger thread once that had a knot in it, but that goes through the loopers without problem. I certainly understand that the thread has to be knotted somewhere, but I don't expect it to happen to an $8 spool of thread. It should be added to the seconds pile. Nowadays manufacturers can find a flaw in a product by just weighing it. They would know how much a spool of thread will weigh and any fraction of variance from that weight will denote a flaw of some kind and should be pulled from the production line. If I was getting it for a reduced price, it would be a different matter.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
One knot wouldn't be a big problem to me. Especially if this is the first time it's happened with that particular brand. But if there are lots of them on the same spool that's not acceptable.
But what if you were working on a very special quilt that you didn't want a thread breakage or whatever you want to call it? This was variegated thread and caused a color variance. Granted it is for a charity quilt, but that shouldn't matter. I buy YLI to get a quality thread with no flaws. Guess I will change manufacturers. Luckily the needle didn't break, but it sure caused a noisy ruccous on the walking foot.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

wow..that is NOT suppose to happen...send a bill for fixing the timing on your machine now!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
wow..that is NOT suppose to happen...send a bill for fixing the timing on your machine now!
Well, luckily it didn't seem to harm anything, but now I am watching for knots. I am so paranoid!!