Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever heard of a baby doing this? >

Have you ever heard of a baby doing this?

Have you ever heard of a baby doing this?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

Yep I do my son. And at 5 months and 1 week my daughter walked across the room without holding on to anything. She has been runnng ever since. The doctor couldn't believe it when for her 6 month check up she walked into the exam room all by herself. And I don't mean she toddled in she WALKED in.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by hannajo
I realize all babies develop different skills at different ages. But today, the baby I nanny for (I affectionately call her "my baby.") pooped in the potty - twice. And she is seven months old.

I know the parents had been using the potty chair when she appeared to be preparing to poop. Well today, she was "tooting" and squirming like she usually does before she poops. So for fun I decided I put her on - she still can't even sit without a little support. And sure enough she poops. After she went the second time, I'm convinced she knows what she's doing. I'm absolutely amazed. I thought the dad was a little bit nuts when he told me he bought her the potty chair... I've never even heard of trying to potty train a child until at least 18 months for the most mature.

Do you know of other babies that potty train so early, or is my family just full of slow developers?
Did you happen to notice that when the baby was about six months old, you would change her diaper and as SOON as you pulled the plastic pants up, she was wet again?
Of course, nowadays, most people use disposable diapers, so it isn't so noticeable, but with my kids, I could only assume that the phenomenon was caused by a limited amount of bladder control.
My mom always said that if a baby never gets used to wet and dirty diapers, they are easily potty trained, depending on how much control they can manage - - being so young, her muscles won't wait for MINUTES, but if you are consistent in getting her to the potty, she will start demanding it ...
of course, there will be accidents, or times of not being close to the potty chair, and I am not sure how she will be impacted with accidents, but babies are washable, and that is a good life lesson, too!
Most people will tell you that you are becoming potty trained for her, but each step is part of the building block. Work with what you have and keep a relaxed mental attitude, no matter what naysayers may say. <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 05:40 PM

I haven't read all of these pages but I will put in my 2 cents worth. When my daughter was born I had a GF that had a child several years older. She had pushed this child so hard to train within the first year (I felt it was so she could brag her child was trained by X months) that the child rebelled and peed the bed until she was almost 11. I decided really quickly that I would not do that to my child. I showed her the potty and made sure she knew what it was for. We had potty books and songs and dolls that used the potty. I let her decide when it was the right time. She was three and came to me and said "Diapers are yucky!" one day and we put her into big girl pants. She may have had three accidents from that day forward and no problems. If your baby is ready that early then bravo for all of you, but please don't push or reprimand if she reverts. That kind of pressure will backfire every time.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Only one of my 5 started early. I think she didn't like the feel of it in her diaper. So she was trained really quick much to my delight.