Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Ever Served On A Jury? >

Have You Ever Served On A Jury?

Have You Ever Served On A Jury?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:21 AM

I get called every 3 years some times I do not have to go in But most I do .Was on a Jury ounce for 3 days drunk driving with posationof eleagle drugs. Hope I never have to do that again.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 3incollege
I got called for jury twice. Our county only pays $12 aday plus gas milage. When my DD was a senior in High schoo; she got summond, and got choosen to serve on a case. The judge was hystrical when she was asked what she did for a living. the priciaple told her in the 20yrs. he was at this school he never had a student excused for jury duty,but then again he never met a girl like her either.
It was an experiance she would never forget. The down side was she missed school on valentines day and that was a big thing for them.
I didn't know that someone in high school could be called to serve on a jury. I thought, that the judge would not want to interrupt their education, they have plenty of years to be on a jury.
Your daughter sounds like an exceptional young woman, course i don't know how many years ago, that was. Bet you were a proud parent though.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:40 PM

On the one hand, it's a great experience for a high schooler, as long as it doesn't interrupt too much of their schooling. OTOH, that ought to be an allowed reason to not serve. I mean, they can always postpone her duty and bring her back after graduation.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

High school? I assumed you had to be at least 18 to serve on jury duty :shock:
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 PM

i know everyone is curios how a high schooler got choosen,but this is how it happened. it was 4 yrs. ago, and megan turned 18 on Sept.23.(the cut off day for kindergarten is Sept.1,so she had to wait another yr.) She regesterd to vote. The case was involving a 22yr old ,so I guess the lawyers for the defense thought it would be good for them. She might have been able to be excused but she wanted the experiance. Megan is an exceptional young lady. She is in Americorp right now and then she will head off to grad school.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 3incollege
i know everyone is curios how a high schooler got choosen,but this is how it happened. it was 4 yrs. ago, and megan turned 18 on Sept.23.(the cut off day for kindergarten is Sept.1,so she had to wait another yr.) She regesterd to vote. The case was involving a 22yr old ,so I guess the lawyers for the defense thought it would be good for them. She might have been able to be excused but she wanted the experiance. Megan is an exceptional young lady. She is in Americorp right now and then she will head off to grad school.
Even at 18 your daughter rose to the occasion...some ppl much older can't 'handle' it. She sounds like she likes adventure and new experiences.
Just wondering, what is Americorp? It's ok, to go off subject a tiny bit, :D it's my thread, and just thinking that experiences like jury duty, gave her the confidence to try other new things :wink:
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 AM

Quiltincrazy, Americorp is an organization like peace corp,except you stay in the states. Megan graduated from Chatham 09,(privite womens college) she majored in enviomental polices. Megan went June 1 to New York Adirondack mountains. This is her first time with Americorp, she will be home Nov 1.
I am used to her being gone last year she spent the summer in New Zealand . she tracked Kiwi birds. The year before it was Belize and when she was in H.S. she went to France and England. She is my little traveler she is always doing something. If Megan wants something she will get it.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

wow, she is living some ppl's dreams :D
She won't be one of those ppl that get older and think what if...?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 PM

I was on a jury in a murder trial that lasted for 6 weeks. The 16 year old boy did it so it wasn't a question of WHO did it, it was a question of motive, mental state, etc.

As luck would have it, after serving for 6 weeks and being sick from a supposed UTI, I was in too much pain to go to court literally ON THE DAY it went to the jury for a verdict. The boy was found quilty of first degree murder with a sentence of 50 years.

I ended up in the hospital for a full hysterectomy. :roll:
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM

I've been called but never get picked. My daughter is Special Security Force, nephew is CIA, another nephew is SS. That usually stops me at the door. For as long as you have to wait for the selection process - I want to wear a sign that says "pick me or kick me now". Another reason I don't get picked is that I've lived in the community for 40 years and I know too many people. I had 4 kids very active in scouts and sports, have 11 active grand babies. I always seem to get called for a case where the judges and lawyers are my co-workers children or they went to school with my kids, or I worked with them on volunteer committees. I wouldn't mind serving but it just doesn't happen. Would like to think I'd have an open mind.