Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you used vacuum space bags? >

Have you used vacuum space bags?

Have you used vacuum space bags?

Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM

Smile Have you used vacuum space bags?

Hope this is the right place for this! Am going to start downsizing and packing for a move in the months ahead and would like to try using the vacuum space bags. Checking on amazon brings up a lot of positive and negative reviews, esp about one well known brand. that the bags puncture easily, lose air, etc. Would like some feedback from any who've used them, please. Thanks!!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:37 AM

I've used them for storing pillows and duvets. Just bought cheapest I could find worked great stored for 6 months came out fine.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:11 AM

Same here it's a amazing what they can hold! Bought it from the store and the least expensive ones.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 AM

like anything else, you DO NOT always get what you pay for! I've used well known and never heard of, both occasionally won't seal or have a pin hole but when they work they're great. When I change out winter/summer clothes I use them to put in the attic, most even hold up in that heat/cold. Fold things as tightly as possible so you can get plenty in the bag, just don't cram it full, you may bust the seam. Every time I get one done I always think I could have put a lot more in it but that's because they shrink up SO much.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:27 AM

I've used the name brand (found the best deal at Walmart) and other brands. We use them to pack away all our boating linens. Have used the same ones for at least four years without problem. My only complaint is the large "suitcase" style is no longer available.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:41 AM

Yes, I used the ones that (everyone knows the name) before to downsize my linen closet. Loved them, they really do work. I did have a few that ruptured and didn't work but for the most part, they are good. The only thing they don't do well is move. If I did them then stored them, no problem. But if they were packed,unpacked and reused, they just weren't tough enough.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:10 AM

When I used them, they worked great until I removed the stuff from them my linens reaked of petroleum odors. I used name brand and lesser brand like others. If you're sensitive to odors, you might want to think a little longer.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:20 AM

I've used them with success although a couple never would seal properly. Overall, I think they do the job and are very useful.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 AM

We use them for all the Christmas linens, towels etc for years and they are great, year after year.
I read somewhere recently that you and do the same job with regular trash bags, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:57 AM

I do one craft show a year. It's this Sunday. Just last night I got out my previously unsold items in their vacuum seal bags. Each bag has let a little air in -- really just a little -- and everything is still sealed nice and tight. After the show whatever isn't sold this year will go right back in for another year. I've bought several brands and always had good luck with them. Haven't had occasion to use them for anything else.

Only problem - once those bags are opened all that stuff has to be ironed by Sunday! Yuck!!!!