Heating Bills

Old 03-01-2014, 04:06 PM

Default Heating Bills

Mine was 2.5 times higher than normal. I shouldn't complain, at least I am warm. I just had to take a big gulp when I opened the bill.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:26 PM

This has been an extraordinarily cold winter. We prebuy our oil and last year we had credit left at the end of the season. We bought about the same amount and found out we have already reached the end our prebuy. So now we will have to pay for the oil every time. That is NOT in our budget and I don't know how we are going to manage it. Bummer.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Agreed. It's been just awful here in WI. I feel fortunate that we can afford it this year anyway as my husband is still working. I feel sorry for those on fixed incomes having to deal with the increased cost. Hard to budget with the unknown
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

boy you're not kidding. ,my hubby always say he's cold. I keep telling him to put his blanket on his legs. or wear more clothing. I finally got him to put an undershirt on. layering helps! I am downstairs a lot and wear a jacket and if I sit in front of the t.v., I \turn on the small space heater. it's cold down here!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

ours was high too but we have had a cold winter and like you say we were warm!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

This has been an usually cold winter for most of the country. We have a few normal days and nights, then bam cold again for a few days. The ups and downs just seem to wear on a body.
I'm not looking forward to hot and humid summer either. I tell my Husband we are just complainers.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

I bought a portable oil filled heater and it warms a room and keeps it warm. I was amazed what a great job it did. I had to turn it down to keep the room from getting too warm. It is a radiating heat and is much more efficient and cheaper to run then old space heaters. And safe for kids, it doesn't get hot enough on the outside to cause burns or catch anything on fire. Be sure it is oil filled. Not the cheap ones.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Granted, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the news report...BUT...what I remember most was that (at least in the Phila., PA area), most of those folks that had extremely higher than normal heating bills had much to do with switching to a third party vendor. So I'm going to guess, mark ups, middle men, etc. One station's 'consumer reporter' apparently was able to get some folks relief.

For us, our last bill was relatively normal despite a very frigid winter hear. We heat with natural gas. Propane prices, I know, have gone through the roof.

Stay as warm as you can!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:38 PM

It's been a rough year for a lot of people we know too. We heat with wood so our gas bill is not much (although considering our only usage is the pilot light on our furnace on which the gas never comes on and the bill is almost $150 that is bad enough). Before we had our woodburner we had winter months where the bill was close to $1000.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 PM

We have had an extremely cold winter this year and are also dealing with higher heating bills. However, right now, people in our area are worried about the water pipes and the sewer lines freezing. The frost has gone 4 to 6 feet deep in places and many homes are without water or sewer. My family has been lucky. We still have water and sewer but my mom's sewer froze and the city told her they could not do anything until spring. Her wonderful neighbors are letting her use their shower and bathroom. They tell us that things will get worse as the weather eventually warms up because it will drive the frost deeper and to expect broken water mains and sewer lines in the spring. I have seen bad winters before but I don't think I have ever seen one like this.