help for ancestry research

Old 10-19-2009, 09:43 AM

Hi all,

the hobby of my Mom is ancestry research. But now her searching stops because she donīt now which authority in America can give us information.

We search for descendants of Hermann Hein born 18.7.1912 in California, San Francisco.
His parents are George Hein born 28.1.1872 in Germany and Mathilda Alsen born 24.2.1872 in Denmark. They are emigrated 1910 over New York to San Francisco.

Could you help me to find a website or adress which could help to solve my problem and which helps to make my Mom happy??

Thanks a lot
Daniela
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM

what about ancestory.com??
Old 10-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Every ten years, there is a census count. You might start with the last area you knew for them and search forward. The records used to be free, but now there is a monthly charge.

http://www.censusrecords-search.com/

The Mormon Church also has extensive records - have you tried there? I know there are a couple ladies who share this interest.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Every ten years, there is a census count. You might start with the last area you knew for them and search forward. The records used to be free, but now there is a monthly charge.

http://www.censusrecords-search.com/

The Mormon Church also has extensive records - have you tried there? I know there are a couple ladies who share this interest.
The Mormon church does have extensive records and most of them were free. I used them a few years ago doing some research on my family. Now they are like everyone else gotta make that buck.
BillsBonBon
Old 10-19-2009, 02:38 PM

You can go to www.familysearch.org and put in what you know. They have lots of records that can be searched for free.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM

ancestry.com has most census to look at for free.if not see of there s a local branch of the Morman chirch there that might have a library just for family research,they are very helpful and have tons of records there and you can also order from the main library for a minimal charge and you can keep the records at the library for several weeks
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Try rootsweb.com. They are free. Ancestry.com is not a free site. The libraries usually have access to the census records for free. If you know the state that they immigrated to, you can try the state archives for that state. They will often have ship's records if you know when and where they immigrated to the US. Also try the Mormon church. They have an incredible genealogy library.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 PM

This is a genealogy site where you can post what you know about your Hein family and ask for help. I've had lots of luck with my research.
http://genforum.genealogy.com/hein/

I found the family in the 1920 census living on O'Farrell Street in San Francisco. George was a jeweler and Mathilda did embroidery. They owned their businesses. All spoke English. Per census they married in 1904. The site I use does not have the 1930 census for California loaded into the system. But, using Ancestry.com it appears they were still living in San Francisco. Since I am not a member of Ancestry, I cannot access the census for you.

Ancestry also lists a Herman George Hein who died in California in 1980. Rootsweb has a Herman Hein born 11 July 1911 who died in June 1980 in San Anselmo, Marin County, California.

There is a free genealogy lookup service you might try. Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. This is the site
http://www.raogk.org/californ3.htm
Look for Marin county, the first two names are Jeffery Vaillant and Kevin Curry. You can click on one of the names and email them. Maybe they could look up the obituary in the local papers. There may be some reimbursement required, but it is usually not much. I had much research done in France by one of the International Volunteers and it only cost around 200 US dollars. But I got about a 100 copies of records. You only want the obituary. It might take several days for them to reply, so don't give up hope.

If you get the obituary, then it might list relatives and you could then try finding them in an online phone book. I contacted a funeral home once and got phone numbers from them.

If you can not get help from RAOGK, you could find the newspapers in San Anselmo and contact them yourself.

Hope this helps you. If you need any more help, let me know.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Hi again,
I found a death record for a Mathilda Hein birth 23 Feb 1873 died 11 May 1940 in Alameda California. It lists her maiden name as Jacobsen. The Herman George Hein's mother was also a Jacobsen. I know the maiden name is not Alsen but with the dates being so close, it could be them. On the 1920 census, which has a date of 15 Jan 1920, Mathilda stated her age as 46. That would put her birth year in 1873 or 1974.

Both San Anselmo and Alameda are in the San Francisco area. Becky Jensen does research for Alameda County with the RAOGK site.
http://www.raogk.org/californ.htm

The 1904 date in my first post was not their marriage date but the year they immigrated to the US.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 AM

WOW - quiltykitty - it sounds like you have done this once or twice! All that with just basic info provided!