Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with birthday party ideas..... >

Help with birthday party ideas.....

Help with birthday party ideas.....

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM

do a movie themed party for him--with a focus on movies from the 60s. lots of popcorn, twizzlers, coke, orange soda, junior mints, etc. rent a few old movies from then and have them on the tube in the background, and encourage folks to dress the time--i remember having the "baldies and greasers", the "arts crowd", the beginnings of the hippies, the ROTC kids...there are lots of possibilities.

and neena, your idea about the scavenger hunt is brilliant! i hadn't read the whole thread--but you're right--this sounds like fun. my hubby will be 70 this year--could be a good start planning for his!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 AM

When I turned 50, my kids and I met my mother halfway between us and had dinner. I had spent the day at the hospital with a friend haveing surgery. When we got home about 11:30 pm there was a 4x16 foot sign nailed to the side of the house with the "lordy...." with a spotlight on it. Inside was my sister ROFL. Great way to end a tense day.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 AM

Here is a strange one for you ... what about a murder mystery party? There are lots of ideas online for this.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:33 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

well, perhaps a backyard BBQ. Yoy don't want it at your house; so how about at his parents, siblings or the city park with some corn hole, horse shoes a few coolers with drinks. Sept is still nice or you could have it 2 weeks ahead of his birthday and surprise him. do you have a local ball team? all could go to a game together and grab a pizza together. then you have it all out of your home.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:36 PM

How about a blown up picture of his face put on cardboard and a stick attached so it can be used a a mask for guests. or a pic of him on paper and cut up like a puzzle and folks can race to put them together. Pic of him on the cake.
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
For a friends 50th, I got pictures of her as a child and put them on tee shirts and gave one to each guest as they arrived to wear. It was very funny for all of us and even the birthday girl found humor in it!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM

Years ago, we were invited to a 50th birthday party and the theme was "Half A Century". We were asked to bring gifts that were "half" of something. I wrapped up one house shoe. Of course, we gave him the other one later.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 AM

Had 70th B-day party for my husband last year. On invite I said "Bad news is we ask that you bring a small gift
Good news is - you can't spend more than 70 cents on it!"
Please give to him so he can see how thoughtful his
family & friends are!"
Everyone had a ball finding something for that amount and he enjoyed seeing what all they thought of!!! I served walking tacos & B-day cake so people could mill around & visit. We did it in our garage & driveway. I got this idea from a gal sho's husband had his 57 B-day & she ask people to bring gift with receipt to show they had kept the right price!!! Just an idea.
My husband received 70 new pennies, playdoh, gift card with 70 cents left on it, washer & dryer(paper towel square with a washer slid down it!) golf putter made out of a tree limb, walnuts painted like golf balls & many more fun things.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:27 AM

I had a small surprise party for my husband when he turned 50. I used the back room of one of our favorite eating places that had buffet and I picked up the tab at the end of it. Less than $100 and no mess to clean up, no food to cook and etc was well worth it. Had everyone bring 50 type gag gift and my grown son took movies we all ate talked opened gifts and etc. Sorry to say my husband with dead with cancer, we did not know about, two years later, so glad I had party for him to celebrate.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 PM

You are all so creative, I may have to incorporate all the ideas to make a fabulous party.

Quilting jaguar: I'm sorry for your loss. Cancer is a horrible illness.