Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP!!--computer with mind of its own >

HELP!!--computer with mind of its own

HELP!!--computer with mind of its own

Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 AM

Default HELP!!--computer with mind of its own

Occasionally my computer takes it upon itself to rid out my Inbox. Yesterday it deleted all of the emails in the Inbox since last November, including pictures of our newest grandbaby. Is there any way to retrieve those from "somewhere"?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Brand and model of your computer?

What service do you use for your e-mail? (comcast.net, gmail.com, hotmail.com - etc.)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

it has to be something in your settings in your email. Google deletes when I ask but they really are gone. in yahoo they stay in delete folder awhile which is great.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:17 AM

This is strange, the same thing happened to me. The emails where in the trash folder and I did get some of them back in my mail,but I didn't have time too do them all. Went back into the trash next time I was on and the rest of them were deleted and I know I didn't do it.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

It may be a good idea to start moving emails you want to keep (such as the photo) into folders that you create. I doubt any email program would automatically clear user-specific folders.

Have you looked in the trash and junk folders (pretty standard on most email programs) to see if your emails are there?

A computer techie may be able to recover the emails if you cannot find them anywhere by means of your programs. They could still be on your hard disc somewhere.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:03 AM

I've had that happen. Went to reread an email, and it would be gone. Hate that!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:24 AM

I use a shutterfly to store my photo's offsite. I don't lose them that way. AND once I get a folder full, I copy them to a CD as well.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:29 AM

I agree with Prism99....create folders and store the emails you want to keep in them. I know hotmail will automatically delete messages in 'trash' and 'deleted' after a period of time but not inbox or other folder specific messages. I have messages in folders that are years and years old.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 AM

All my photos are stored on a 32 GB flash drive. I wouldn't trust any computer enough to keep them. Nor any 'site' that stores them. My photographs are priceless to me, especially the ones of my ancestors in the 1800's. You can also buy an external hard drive to store them. I love plugging in a thumb drive (as some call them), hit the slide button and watch your own slide show. Am scanning over 50 years of photographs, it's fun, so many people we forget about.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:00 PM

People gave you lots of ideas if you had the photo's but not a true solution. I have heard once on your pc then they are somewhere so if they are very important to you take machine to an expert like the Geek Squad at Best buy for them to retrieve. Tell them problem in beginning so they get a good guy to do it. In the process they may solve the problem. I believe some photos are worth the money. I had some deleted and sorry I didn't get them back --next time I wouldn't let hubby say not to do it.
I love computers when they are working correctly.