Help with Dog PEEING!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM

We have two almost three year old dogs. (Bichon/Maltese/Terrier) They are brothers from the same litter. One we've had since he was a baby, the other we got about a year ago when the people that have the mom passed the house of the adopted parents had him tied to a tree in the snow with no shelter or padding. She is a bus driver and stopped her bus, got off, picked him up and took him home. Being that we had the brother they asked us to take him. We were getting ready to lose our 14 year old English Setter so we agreed to do it.

Everything has gone well over the last year except he has suddenly started to PEE all over!!!!! He didn't do it much except once in a while, but now he's almost seeking out places to pee! He loves peeing on plastic bags, so we bought pee pee pads and put a plastic bag on it, and he uses but he still goes elsewhere!!!

He even got up on the ottoman the other day, where I had a bag with fabric, and PEED ON IT! He's not exclusive to plastic bags, they're just his favorite.

I do NOT know what to do!!!! HELP!!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Is he neutered? If not, that would probably help. (And oh by the way, kudos to the bus driver and yourself, too, for taking care of this poor little fellow!)
Old 10-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Has the vet checked him out? He may have some kind of urinary problem.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Have the vet check for a UTI. Many dogs and cats pee where you will notice to try and get you to see there is a problem.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I'd take him to the vet first to make sure there's no physical problem. He might need an antibiotic.

After that, he needs re-training. I'd probably use a crate and very frequent trips outside. You can also tie him to you so he has to go wherever you go and can be constantly monitored.

Oh, and you need to treat every place he has peed *extremely* thoroughly with enzyme products. I have used several for cats and so far like Nok Out the best (no odor, no stickiness, works). Cat pee is worse than dog pee, so I think Nok Out would work for you too.

Not an expert here, just what I would do......
Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I agree, I would have him checked by the vet first. I agree with retraining using a kennel if he has no medical condition. I had to do this for a Mother and puppy. I tried everything and then using a kennel worked like magic. They don't want to lay in their own urine.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Have the vet check for a UTI. Many dogs and cats pee where you will notice to try and get you to see there is a problem.
What I was going to say. Take him to a vet & go from there.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Yes neutered, and yes checked by the vet. Dangit!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Yes neutered, and yes checked by the vet. Dangit!
Vet checked recently & no UTI or other illnesses (I'm assuming the vet did specificly test for these?). Hmm...behavioral. Have there been any changes in the home? New people, someone moved out, new pet, lost a pet? Even if this is the root cause, like other said, going back to basic housebreaking is the solution.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM

I had friends that had this problem - it came out of the blue. The vet determined the dog had a kidney stone. Once that was taken care of everything went back to normal.