Help, Help Help Desperate

Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Default Help, Help Help Desperate

I am trying to make this cute little purse called Hip Pockets Purse
http://www.bhg.com/crafts/sewing/acc...pockets-purse/

I am stuck on steps 3 & 4. I can't understand the instructions. Has anyone made this pattern?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Step 3 - You take your 2nd zipper and measure the half-way point and
align it with the half-way point of the stripe fabric. Then sew the zipper.
The right side of the zipper will be facing the right side of the fabric when
you sew. Make sure to follow the diagram. If you enlarge the diagram
you will understand. Does that make sense?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM

I have not made this but it is cute. Looks like you are just to sew in the second zipper same as you did the first. Add it to the piece already sewed in steps 1 and 2 and add the lining to the other side of the zipper.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 PM

I haven't made this exact pattern before, but from what I can see is that you have to place the zipper face down at step 3 and sew on to fabric. You'll then 'flip' the zipper over and sew ('right' sides together) on to the fabric at step 4, so the zipper pull is on the outside. Step 4 is also asking you to sew across the 'teeth' of the zipper so it doesn't open too far when in use later.

This type of pattern does seem odd, but if you follow the instructions precisely, it should work out.

A tip I find helpful is to print the instructions off and write the actual fabric I am using on the pattern. So, if the pattern refers to 'green' and you are using a blue stripe, then write that in place of 'green'.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Step 4 - You measure 1/2" from the edge and do a zig-zag across your zipper.
I have highlighted where you measure the 1/2" in black. Does this help?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422745[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails step4.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 12:27 PM

I have not made this purse, but I think I may try it for Christmas gifts for my 3 DGD. What has you stumped? It looks like you attach the top zipper upside down to the striped strip so when you fold it back it will be right side up. Then sew the lime green 8 1/2 x 7 inch lining to the other edge of the zipper. It looks like Diagram 5 is the wrong side of the purse. Hope I was helpful and didn't confuse you even more. Keep us posted. Sometimes I have a problem picturing how to attach a part of the pattern--my brain just doesn't picture it.
Sue
Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 PM

I have not made this purse, but I think I may try it for Christmas gifts for my 3 DGD. What has you stumped? It looks like you attach the top zipper upside down to the striped strip so when you fold it back it will be right side up. Then sew the lime green 8 1/2 x 7 inch lining to the other edge of the zipper. It looks like Diagram 5 is the wrong side of the purse. Hope I was helpful and didn't confuse you even more. Keep us posted. Sometimes I have a problem picturing how to attach a part of the pattern--my brain just doesn't picture it.
Sue
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Sorry for the double post. Looks like we were all typing at the same time.
Sue
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Looks like a really cute bag! Seems as though your question has been answered. Good luck would love to see pic when you finish
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 AM

I have finished the bag. It's not completely accurate since I made a different shoulder strap. I was having a problem with adding the second lining piece. The way it is described you sew it to the wrong side of the zipper which meant you did not see the zipper since it was attached on the right side already. This seemed wrong to me. I will post a picture. As I said, it is a little off since the top zipper is really on the back side. I think the next one will be better. The directions were a bit different than what I am used to.