Help Mothers to be

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM

I'm part of the staff at Hannah's Home, a maternity home, located in Mentor, OH. We provide housing, many educational opportunities including child care for young pregnant women who have no place to go. We have programs set up to help the women learn life skills and one of those programs includes sewing. A volunteer comes in weekly and guides them through the basics of sewing. Many of the young women really like sewing, but when they leave us they are without a sewing machine. Would any of you have sewing machines you are no longer using, ones that still sew well, but maybe don't have the "bells and whistles" you now require? We would be honored to receive them as a donation and pass them on to our young women so they can continue the sewing skills they learned while here. Pray about it and let me know if you would be willing to part with your machine that you are no longer using. Thank you.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM

Have you tried looking in the Thrift shops for inexpensive sewing machines?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Contact local groups. There's the Elks, Moose, etc, and the women's groups. Beta Sigma Phi for one usually has a lot of strong minded women in it. Get them started on this quest.
FreeCycle might work wonders if you ask on it. And if possible,
get some local politicians in this quest, but this will work only if there is a chance for a photo that may get in the newspaper.

Go to the local newspaper, they usually have a section that tells what is happening and where and at what time, and another section that tells of who is doing what for whom.

Still with me? What I'm saying is, get the message out, and this forum is a darn good start.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the input. I will share these suggestions with the quilting teacher and we will go from there. Thanks again.