Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help - My Iron is spewing black gunk... >

Help - My Iron is spewing black gunk...

Help - My Iron is spewing black gunk...

Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM

There are Rowentas made in Germany and Rowentas made in China. When you buy something made in China you get a defective product usually. The Rowentas made in Germany are made to last decades. Mine is going on its second decade.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

My Rowenta is made in Mexico. It leaks.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 AM

Do you have hard or well water -this can cause it also. I use distilled water -you can get in grocery stores $1-$1.50 a gallon. And go back to a $20 Proctor-Silex from WallyWorld At least you can return it. The only good thing I've ever heard about Rowenta is- they do make a good door stop
Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Has anyone tried that Oliso Iron? I like it because it sits on the sole plate then lifts itself up.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM

I'm still using my 45 year old Proctor Silex. Steams like a dream. No water has ever entered it's chamber that wasn't from a jug of DISTILLED water. It has never spit, leaked or anything else and is used every couple of days since I'm always sewing something, big and little. Oh, I know the new ones say DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER. Of course not, in a year or so, the chamber is gunked and you get to buy another new iron. Why people pay $100 for an iron is beyond me. All my friends who had Rowenta's now own el cheapo brands.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I wouldn't have another Rowenta....better than that, you couldn't PAY me to take one...there's just no excuse to pay that kind of money for that shoddy a product and not have some recourse for a bad product. IMHO, they should be made to reimburse (X10) to each purchaser of their @#$%!
My first Rowenta was mid range priced. It last 10 years before it gave up. My second Rowenta was much more expensive and lasted 7 months before it started spitting and the tank began leaking all over the ironing board and floor. I called Rowenta and was told because I had purchased a "professional" iron that it only had a 6 month warranty (???). They would do nothing for me. Last time I ever buy a Rowenta. I now use a cheap Black and Decker steam iron. So far, so good!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:18 AM

I had a Rowenta before and it did the same thing and can't figure out what to do. I cleaned and used the Rowenta cleaner on the sole plate but it still spews dirty steam. It went to Salvation army and I am now using a Black & Decker.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 PM

I have decided to trash this iron...my husband has one in the garage he uses for laminating wood on rare occasion... he bought at Big Lots for $12.00 and it works just fine. Even gets hotter than I need!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 PM

A Rowenta is to be treasured. If you would take time to read the manual, it will tell you that excessive steaming will cause the iron to leak. It is important to use the type of water it recommends also. My first Rowenta lasted over 20 years. The one I have now is 5 years and going strong. Never leave water in it when you are done using it. Treat your tools well and they will last a very long time. It is the consumers responsibility (yes-that means you) to read the manual.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Susan Hansen12228 View Post
A Rowenta is to be treasured. If you would take time to read the manual, it will tell you that excessive steaming will cause the iron to leak. It is important to use the type of water it recommends also. My first Rowenta lasted over 20 years. The one I have now is 5 years and going strong. Never leave water in it when you are done using it. Treat your tools well and they will last a very long time. It is the consumers responsibility (yes-that means you) to read the manual.
I did read the manual carefully (always do). I used the correct type of water and always emptied the tank when done. Never filled the tank when iron was even warm, let alone hot. Iron still didn't last over 7 months.