Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help removing cigarette smoke >

Help removing cigarette smoke

Help removing cigarette smoke

Old 05-21-2011, 02:59 AM

I was just giving a mattress and it smells like smoke. Any suggestions on removing the smell? Normally I'd put it out in the sun to air for a while, but I'm missing that key ingredient....sunshine. I have Febreeze and Lysol, but to me, those just mask the smell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:04 AM

Not to gross you out but my son puked in the car. I scrubbed like mad and got rid of all remnants but the smell. I tried everything under the sun without success. A neighbor suggested I crumple up newspapers and toss them in the car. It worked like a dream. She said newspaper soaks up odor...

Try vaccuming it really well with an attachment. Once you have as much odor out as possible, they also sell mattress protectors which are like a big plastic bag that engulfs the mattress and zips at one end. That might keep the smell from coming out too. It would be good to use also as this is a used mattress...

Hope this helps
Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 AM

Suggest you try carpet cleaner--the dry kind. My Dyson came with a bag of stuff that you spread over the carpet and then vacuum it up. I believe you can also pick up this type of granular cleaner at a superstore. By the time you have tried all of these options, the sun will be out shining brightly..
Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Administrator

do you have (or can you rent) a carpet cleaning machine with an upholstery attachment? if so, try that.

adding 1/3 cup ammonia to the washer (full load's worth of water) after it's filled and started to agitate works to remove odors from fabric. it might work with your mattress. the only question is whether it needs to be rinsed afteward, which would be difficult on a mattress. if you're using a machine, then you'd just need to go over it again with plain water or a regular cleaning solution.

i'd start with a few tablespoons per gallon of water. if it seems to have made a difference, but "not quite", try using a stronger solution.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Have you tried sprinkling baking soda on the mattress and let it sit for a couple of hours then vacuum it up. Baking soda soaks up all kinds of odors.
Good luck and be sure to tell us what works.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 AM

There is a spray-on product called "Atmosklear" that works really well. It's a bit expensive but I love how it works ... I found it on http://maryellenproducts.com/
Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I just ordered something from amazon that is guaranteed to get the smoke smell out. Haven't got it yet but hope it works.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:15 AM

I use some stuff called Odoban to get rid of the funky dog smells (and little boy smells) in my house. I get a gallon of concentrated solution at home depot for about $10. It's also anti-microbial. I'll let you know how it works on smoke odors after I clean out my truck today, although I think cigarette smoke is the hardest smell to get rid of.