Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help !! Suggestions for moving bolts of fabric and China safely >

Help !! Suggestions for moving bolts of fabric and China safely

Help !! Suggestions for moving bolts of fabric and China safely

Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Remember you won't have as much room. Think about what you will really have room for or you will be very cramped and that may make it more difficult for you to sew. Good Luck with your move
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 AM

I wish you good luck also, we moved from a 6 BR house (2 floors +cellar) to a very small 2BR house (1 floor + cellar). We had boxes in the cellar for a LONG time.
And this was AFTER we had moved all the fabric, which went in the attic.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
What I'm wondering is where are you going to put 300 bolts of fabric in a one bedroom apartment!
Thats what I was wondering! I used to be the nurse for an assisted living/senior residential complex and I was thinking back on the size of the 1 bedroom apartments. Maybe some of the bolts can become the frame for her bed?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:25 AM

Reading these post you have some great ideas for packing the china and fabric.

But as your packing- please remember space issues. There may not be room for 300 bolts of fabric. You may need to get a place with 2 bedrooms.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

bubble wrap for the china. How are you going to get all those bolts in your new place? Taking the fabric off the bolt would save room then you could pack them in boxes or plastic bins. If they stay on the bolt...perhaps trash bags. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Give the china to whomever you wish to have it! It will take up fabric space. I have moved twice in the last few years downsizing each time. I "tried" to give away three sets of china and I was surprised that no one wanted my precious and dearly acquired china sets. BUT, I never even thought about giving away my fabric! LOL!
Good luck with your move and concentrate on keeping your quilting things. Space and upkeep will be issues and I had no idea how little everything else (including some family heirlooms) mattered to my family. Sigh~
Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
What I'm wondering is where are you going to put 300 bolts of fabric in a one bedroom apartment!

In this 1 bedroom apartment, there is a large walk in closet that is 6 feet on the back wall and 5.5 feet deep. I have a storage unit that is exact 6 feet wide and currently fits in my second bedroom closet holding all my bolts (or at least MOST of them!). Going today to see a quilting friend who lives there. I am going to take lots of pictures but I think it will work. I don't get around that much so most of my clothes fit into drawers so I don't need much vertical hanging. My motto should be "Where there is a WILL there is a WAY!!"

Believe it or not, I have cut my inventory in half selling on eBay a couple of years ago before them made it too complicated for me...... But I am giving away fabric I know I will NEVER use to our local church group who make quilts for Foster kids and the needy ( I also make tops for them too). I may also get enough courage to sell some of my fabrics on this board if I have time to post the pictures and figure out the shipping cost !! TOO MUCH too do in SO LITTLE TIME !!!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 AM

For your china, you could pack them in your clothing in the dresser or with your towels & wash cloths. Saves on boxes. I have always packed this way. I agree on the trash bags for your fabric. You can always use under the bed for storage & will be surprised how much you can get in a closet. I also have metal shelves for stacking my bolts on. Works good for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Think about taking a tape measure with you and write down all the measurements of the apartment.

Good Luck!

Nan
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Not sure how big your bolts are. I would purchase some inexpensive tarp, wrap and duct tape to seal. When I moved from Indiana to south Texas I used my wash cloths and dish cloths and dish towels because if you use newspaper, often you have to wash the dishes after unpacking. This way they're ready to be put away as the same for the dishcloths. Bubble wrap can be purchased at office supply stores in different size bubbles. As for moving/packing your flatware, if they are already in a draw container, just use paper towels folded then tape across the top and bottom to secure the flatware. You can use the paper towels later for clean up. Sharp knives can be wrapped in paper towels then use newspaper to wrap those and secure with tape. I also mark the room on the boxes. If your clothes baskets and hampers are clean you can pack clothes and bath towels in those. you can also pack your bathroom into your hamper. Some things you don't use can go into the hamper just use other things to put them in. I always duct tape the container so nothing falls out, in case you have to lay it on it's side. Leave everything in your chest of drawer. Just lay tissue paper across the clothes. I've taken the drawers out of the chest moved the chest then put the drawers back in. Takes up less space. Just make sure the drawers won't fall out. Put another piece of furniture in front of it or use a bungie cord to hold in place. Move clothes you wear often while still on the hangers. just lay across a clean blanket big enough to flip back up over them. I have moved the back room last so it is the first room to unload (usually a bedroom).