Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: help....

My sister is donating her kidney to her husband. I can't be them and want to send them something special to let them know I am thinking of them. I know this isn't a quilting questions, but all of you always have such wonderful ideas... (don't want to do balloons, flowers, or teddy bears). Thanks in advance for your suggestions... Quilter1234

What do they have in common? Sailing; mountain climbing; etc. Use this fabric as the main one, use acccenting materials (rmember to put some bright colors in to make them happy), and use about any pattern that focuses on large blocks. Hope this helps. Di

Blog Entries
    or perhaps a donation to the kidney transplant fund? I'm sure there is one or more out there that always need money to keep going.

I donated a kidney to my husband 11 years ago. If they are not too far from you, the best thing they will appreciate will be:

Rides to the dr. At first he will have to go every other day and since none of them will be able to drive much, a ride is much appreciated.

Help with house chores: cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, help with kids if they have them, etc.

Don't send flowers, since he will be immunosuppresed and why bring possible sources of contamination if you don't need them.

Help with pets if they have them. As bad as it sounds, he may be better off if the dog or cat is taken away for a little while. Again, because of the strong immunosuppresion he will be at first. Animals can be re-introduced shortly after.

$$$ Even if they have good precription coverage, if they have a co-pay bills add up. My husband was in at least 7 different medications and at $21.00 co-pay each per month, we needed all the help we could get.

While they are out in the hospital, pay for a professional to clean their house so he comes back home to a very clean house. That will help her a lot too. Not with the immunosuppresion, but knowing that she doesn't have to do it.

I know the surgery has changed a lot since I had it. Recovery period is much shorter for the donor and the recipient feels so much better after the transplant that the recovery seems easy, but help and support I am sure will be very well appreciated, much more than flowers or candy.

My mother gave us the best gift. She came from Puerto Rico and stayed with us for a month. She ran the household for that time. She made sure every one left their shoes outside to keep the house clean, and took the kids to school and picked them up.

I wish your family the best of lucks and please, keep us posted.

Maria

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How about a plaque or a tray engraved with

Jack and Jill
    bound by love
    Anniversary Date
    bound by flesh
    Transplant Date

What a great gift to her husband!

I agree with all the points Maride (Maria) made.

Lisa, that is a wonderful idea..... I think I will embroider it.... and use it to make a wall hanging... thank you sooooooo much. Quilter 1234

Maride, I am in AZ they in MN.... but hiring a cleaning service is a great idea.... thank you. Quilter 1234

My girl friend donated a kidney to her sister and I made her a necklace using a kidney bean. It was a hit!! Besides that meals and a nice comfy robe are welcome too.

OK... I have decided to try making an embroider wall hanging.. Now I am looking for a quilted heart with an open middle.... or a quilted heart border... anymore suggestions... You ladies are wonderful. Quilter 1234

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast