Help.....with Velcro

Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Help.....with Velcro

I have a male terrier, he has decided he uses the house instead of out side. So I'm making some belly bands. Have one all made am trying to attach the velcro......have already changed my needle three times. The tread keeps breaking and the needle is all gummed up. I know they have sticky stuff on the back, but that doesn't always hold and starts ripping off. Got out a bottle of nail polish remover to try and clean up the needles, but I have a feeling this is a futile effort!

Maureen

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM

When sewing velcro I've always gotten the non-sticky variety. Been in your shoes before and it's NOT FUN! Is your terrier intact? Does he possibly have a prostate issue/infection? Had this happen with one of my older labs. Couple of days of antibiotics cured the problem.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM

You can buy sew-on velcro, without the sticky stuff. It's very machine-friendly!

For removing the glue from your needles, get yourself a small bottle of Goo Gone. Just a drop, on a piece of paper towel or tissue, will clean your needle. It's also great for removing price stickers, etc.

Last edited by Neesie; 11-08-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Yeah I've had blood work done, he is neutered. This is all of a sudden....imagine sitting in your chair with your put, ad you get that warm feeling....uh huh. So the blood work came back fine, they are doing a culture are Cornell and should find out Mon. Never dull around here!
Thank you Nessie, I think we have some of that stuff, the nail polish removed didn't work!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Definitely something wrong with your pup. Dogs don't just pee in your lap. for some reason he isn't getting the signal. I use Goo B Gone for most adhesive removal. Good luck with your puppy.
Originally Posted by MaureenT View Post
Yeah I've had blood work done, he is neutered. This is all of a sudden....imagine sitting in your chair with your put, ad you get that warm feeling....uh huh. So the blood work came back fine, they are doing a culture are Cornell and should find out Mon. Never dull around here!
Thank you Nessie, I think we have some of that stuff, the nail polish removed didn't work!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Agree with other posters. Don't use the sticky stuff. The other is pretty easy to sew down. Hope your pup gets okay!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 PM

I sew a lot of patches and badges on uniforms. They often have heat seal on the back and it will gum up my needles. There is a product called needle lube you can get at fabric stores and it works great. I bough mine at Hancocks.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM

If my 15 3/4 year old female (neutered) poodle has another accident IN MY BED...she will be in diapers the rest of her natural born life! She did that to me for the second time this morning...mine all just had their annual physicals and they were all fine, so I think her problems are related to her advanced age. They are in and out to potty all day and half the night so I'm guessing that has to be what's going on. (Hope that doesn't carry over to the owner...;0)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

You really can't sew the sticky Velcro. Believe me I tried....once. You can maybe use something to clean the sticky stuff off the Velcro back and try it that way. I lay a piece of wax paper over the hook side when trying to machine the regular Velcro onto something. The machine stitches right through the wax paper and I tear it off after.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM

My Boxer is on meds for spay incontinence. If she even misses one pill, she'll pee in her bed at night in her sleep. She sometimes dribbles (wide awake) when she's in the leather chair with me. There is no test for this except that the dog pees while sleeping. Something to check into .