Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's what I'm doing...

to handle the stress of the season! This year my gift giving is limited to the little people who call me Nana. There are 2 natural grandchildren, 2 step-grandchildren and 4 family friends, ages 7-12. I have made everyone of them a quilt for Christmas. Rather then try to decide whose house I need to be at and when, I came up with this neat little idea. I sent out post card invitations to each them to "Nana's Christmas Cookie Decorating Party". It will be on the 23rd, in the afternoon and it is only for the children. I have a long red Mrs Santa dress, apron and hat that I will wear. Each of them will decorate christmas cookies and will make a christmas ornament. They will put them in little gift bags to take home with them. The ornaments are made out of fabric scraps and card board and I have chosen a small fabric nativiy scene for them to glue onto the fabric. I want them to know the reason for the season. We will also have hot chocolate or punch and a birthday cake for baby Jesus. When they leave they will take their gift-bagged quilts home with them to put under their own trees. They will then have a gift from Nana to open on Christmas eve!

This may be a new tradition for our family. Then on Christmas day I can meander (just like FMQ) my way to the 3 homes I will be visiting. No rush, no time limit, no worrying about what time I have to be where, etc. And no stress!

Blog Entries
    What an awesome idea. I will look for my invite in the mail (will kid at heart do - smile). What a great thing, and memory builder, for you to do.

That sounds lovely.

Murphy..IT sure does in my world! Your invitation is on the way...bring your zither!(or is that a quilting hoop?)

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    oh my. nana dressed as Mrs. Claus. Your little ones will be filled with joy over this. Talk about Giggles! lol... and... it is a memory they will share with their Own gr'children. This is a Lovely idea. (hoping you will have at least one of santa's elves assisting!) Merry Christmas. :-)

What a cool idea! When DD was younger I used to plan one Saturday when I'd have several neighborhood/friends children in for the day. We'd make cookies and do crafts, have lunch and maybe a movie. I'd watch the kids all day so that their parents could go shopping without them. We always had such fun! I had a lot of the crafting pre-done so that they only had to assemble it. One year we made reindeer puppets from tube socks, pipecleaners, felt, google eyes and a red pompom; styrofoam cones were wrapped with small green garland and then they glued sparkly pom poms on for ornaments; I had stiffened doilies over styrofoam cones until they dried then removed the cones. We used the large chenille pipe cleaners for arms, a small round stiffened doily for wings, a wooden wheel and ball for the shoulders and head, glued on hair and used a gold pipe cleaner for a halo. It did absolutely nothing to alleviate my stress but I enjoyed it.

Great idea! I bake sugar cookies the last Saturday before Christmas, on Sunday, I invite the grandkids over to decorate them. Normally we have a little pizza party and watch a Christmas movie.
    Christmas morning I serve brunch, and everyone comes to my house to eat fresh, home made cinnamon rolls, quiches, fruit, juice and coffee. We exchange gifts and the kids hang around before they have to take off to their next house. This way I get to see everyone first, before the kids get all sugared up! :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment-142650.jpe  

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    how clever you are...Christ*mas blessings

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love your idea!! What fun! I like hearing all the non-stress related projects!

What a wonderful idea and what fun!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast