Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hi...I have a question about Decorating Switch Plate Covers with Card Stock Paper >

Hi...I have a question about Decorating Switch Plate Covers with Card Stock Paper

Hi...I have a question about Decorating Switch Plate Covers with Card Stock Paper

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Hi...I have a question about Decorating Switch Plate Covers with Card Stock Paper

Hi All,

I am decorating metal switch plate covers with card stock paper (a little bit thicker than regular paper) and Mod Podge. I just started this a couple of days ago and think it is fun. I saw it on youtube (link below). I glue the paper onto the front of the switch plate and fold a little bit to the back and a little bit through the switch hole in the middle of the plate. I then put a couple more coats of the Mod Podge onto the front of the plate and some onto just the little bits of paper on the back that surrounds the edges and a little onto the little bit of paper I fold back through the hole for the switch. All was fine until I checked out another site and one of the comments on the bottom asked if this was at all a fire hazard. Now I am wondering but I really don't think so but need to ask. The glued paper only covers the back of the plate around the edges...maybe 1/4 inch around and there is just a few tiny pieces on the back through the hole. I hope I am explaining myself that makes sense.

This is exactly what I am doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGyvFz7pd4k

Would love to know what you think ....or if are or know of an electrician to ask, please. I want to keep making them!

Thank you, thank you!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM

People have covered light switch plates for years with wallpaper!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM

I agree with Auntpiggy. Every switch plate was covered with wallpaper in 1970. My MIL still has them.

As with everything, someone will find it distasteful, hazardous, unhealthy, sacrilegious or any other number of negatives.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM

I might consider using a coating that is not water soluable. If its in a high use area ... and you clean it a lot it might not last as long as you would like.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

If the paper isn't very far over the ege of the plate, I wouldn't worry about it. Any wires coming into the metal box are covered with insulation until the electrician strips off a little to connect to the switch or plug. That little bit of bare wire is connected to the box with a screw. It is nowhere near the edge of the box where the paper would be folded over.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I might consider using a coating that is not water soluable. If its in a high use area ... and you clean it a lot it might not last as long as you would like.
Mod Podge lasts forever. I covered an old table years ago using pictures and ModPodge. It's still going strong; sweaty, water-beaded glasses have been put on it and have not caused any problems at all.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM

My kitchen switch has been "decorated with paper" for 17 years...haven't burned the house down yet!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:07 PM

I use scrapbook paper to cover our light switches and they haven't caused any problems yet. And if I can't find paper I like, I paint the covers and then use Mod Podge to seal the paint. Super easy and cheap way to add some décor to a room.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 AM

The only time it might be a fire hazard is if the wires to the switch are loose and you would see a bright arcing when you turn to switch on. Anything combustible near loosely connected electrical wires can be a fire hazard, including the insulation on the wiring. There is wiring that is in a fire resistive insulated jacket but it is expensive and is only used where the national code requires it such as hospitals, nursing homes. If your house is older it is always wise to check the wires connected to electrical outlets, especially those used often. Pulling plugs out can pull on the receptacle and loosen the wired. Make sure the wires are tightly attached to the outlet for the best conductivity and to prevent arcing from the wire (electrical source) to the conductor on the receptacle be it a screw post or a push in connector. At switches if you ever see a flash when you turn it on or off, do the same. The paper covering the plate should not spread fire rapidly but would smolder similar to wiring insulation behind a wall until it has enough oxygen or another fuel to free burn.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

If you did it exactly as the video you won't have a problem with a fire. If your wiring is up to code you'll be fine. The switchplate is not coming in contact with the wiring, only the switch. As long as it's insulated no problem. I decoupaged a lot of plates and never a problem.