Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957  vs. 2010 >

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by the state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2010 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee.. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy..

This should hit every email inbox to show how stupid we have become!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

times do change, don't they? sad but true.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Isn't political correctness a hoot!!!! :thumbdown:
Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 AM

Life was so much simpler when I was a kid. Laws, rules and regulations have made us all suspicious of everyone. Kids can't play at each others homes like we did, if a child gets hurt we may be sued by their parents. What happened to a care free child hood, having a good time with out fear? Our children and grandchildren will never know how it was 50 years ago. So sad!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Good old common since goes a looooong way. This is a sad but true bunch of facts posted above....
Old 05-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by S D G
Life was so much simpler when I was a kid. Laws, rules and regulations have made us all suspicious of everyone. Kids can't play at each others homes like we did, if a child gets hurt we may be sued by their parents. What happened to a care free child hood, having a good time with out fear? Our children and grandchildren will never know how it was 50 years ago. So sad!!!
ditto :thumbup:
Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 AM

I remember lower school, always fighting with cousins, and cousins and I fought with "city" kids. I can remember only one school teacher, a third grade teacher named Mrs. Trot, who kept an iron hand on all the kids. She was the only one who really taught me anything..but I remember that hard bench outside the principle's office VERY well. Setting there waiting for punishment was hard, but what really scared me was my Grandma finding out I'd been a brat at school. The punishment at home was always worse than at school. She didn't know or give three hoots about my id, ego, or whatever the crap is they are talking about now, but I grew up and the only time I've ever been in jail was when I took my Cub Scouts on a jail tour through the local lock up. I took in 8 noisy, pushing and shoving little boys, and brought out 8 awed, scared little kids who now knew what it meant to be in jail. From what I can find out, all of them turned out quite well, from one being an MD to other necessary jobs in society.
At this late date I'd like to thank the convicts in that jail for their much needed comments to the kids, telling them what lay ahead if they did the wrong thing. They didn't need to say any thing, but 30 years ago we must have had a better class of criminals!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Have we all gone insane???? It really is pathetic.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 PM

30 years ago they were a better class of criminals, now its "wanta be's" Drug deals still go on inside the fence. killings racisim, its all there, They are "inmates" now, Father in Law is a Retired Corrections Officer..
Old 05-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Aint it the truth.Our country needs to go back to those [old] values.