The History of APRONS

Old 07-02-2011, 06:16 AM

I don't think our kids know what an apron is. The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath becuse she only had a few. It was also becuse it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion, was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carryng eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids....and when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved hr apron and the menfolk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It would be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old time apron" that served so many purpose.

Note: This tribute to aprons was sent to me by e-mail with the addition of this reminder:

Grandma use to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs out to thaw. Hope you enjoyed this jaunt down memory lane.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

i've seen this before. i cried the first time and am a bit teary now. it is wonderful. thanks for posting it.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:28 AM

My Grandmother always wore an apron. The only time she was without 1 was to to visiting or for church. To this day I still love aprons. When I wear 1 I feel as if my Grandmother is with me.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:34 AM

I could just see my Great Aunt Gertrude as I read through this every step of the way. What a wonderful tribute to those who wore them.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 AM

wish i still had some of those--does anybody collect them?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
------------------------------------------
And then my Grandma would remove it and put on the clean, prettier apron that hung behind the door for just such a purpose. The old one would be hung in its place till company left.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful history lesson!!!!!!! And yes, I do collect aprons.
My Mom wore them till I was about 12 and would give anything for one of them! She said she probably got rid of them.

Just another reason I love this board! Thank you :)
Old 07-02-2011, 09:31 AM

What a happy reminder of my Nana's aprons!! Thanks. Maybe all of us quilters that make or gift apron patterns could include this history with them!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
What a happy reminder of my Nana's aprons!! Thanks. Maybe all of us quilters that make or gift apron patterns could include this history with them!
What a great idea!! I have an apron that was made for my now deceased DSIL that has a quilted log cabin bib and pocket. Simple, but so attractive.